TPMS Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's a good thing your cheesed cause you've got plenty of whine!:whip::icon_twisted::happy175::shrug:

Sorry I just had to. Lol

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! For some time now my suspicion has been that the steering column they installed in November after the break-in was from another year (no one seems to actually know just WHAT year), and is different enough to cause the problem. Your post clears up just exactly what that difference might be.

I may just have them rip the son of a gun out of there and put the right one in. This whole thing has left me royally cheesed. :icon_twisted:
As far as I know the steering column from '02-'07 didn't change besides the addition of the ESP button(and SAS) for model year '06 and '07 but everything else is identical.

Nothing in the steering column has anything to do with the TPMS system.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Nothing in the steering column has anything to do with the TPMS system.

Not disagreeing, but what would be the cause of my problem then? This all started after the steering column was replaced. If I need to be looking somewhere else where would it be?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
prof, you have a FSM don't you? In the back, look up Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM). What a fitting term!
Do you find any wording that resembles this....Sentry Key Remote Entry Module - The Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM) is sometimes referred to as the Wireless Control Module (WCM). The SKREEM is located on the right side of the steering column near the ignition lock cylinder housing and an integral molded plastic antenna ring circles the ignition lock cylinder like a halo. The SKREEM and its antenna are concealed beneath the steering column shrouds.
(Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/VEHICLE THEFT SECURITY/SENTRY KEY
REMOTE ENTRY MODULE - DESCRIPTION).

In addition to the security key, this wireless module is also for the keyless entry. Further investigation from others having TPMS issues with their KJ is saying that this module also picks up the TPMS signals. If not through this module, then where, pickups at the wheels (that you don't have)?
If that's the case, and the SKREEM/WCM module is unrelated, then why this problem only after replacing the steering column?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Sentry Key Remote Entry Module - The Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM) is sometimes referred to as the Wireless Control Module (WCM). The SKREEM is located on the right side of the steering column near the ignition lock cylinder housing and an integral molded plastic antenna ring circles the ignition lock cylinder like a halo. The SKREEM and its antenna are concealed beneath the steering column shrouds...
A big clue in my mind is that they had to give me two new keys - the old ones were unable to be programmed to the new (whatever) in the steering column.

So, the only two things using wireless connections both had problems; The keys, which couldn't be matched, and the TPMS which had no sensors to begin with.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A big clue in my mind is that they had to give me two new keys - the old ones were unable to be programmed to the new (whatever) in the steering column.
So, the only two things using wireless connections both had problems; The keys, which couldn't be matched, and the TPMS which had no sensors to begin with.

Hmmmm, the plot thickens. On older models, such as mine, the module in the column is called a SKIM. Your SKREEM is different (incompatible). I'm pretty sure 05 is the transition year. Those clueless bastids may have slapped an 04 or older column into your Jeep, which would explain the inability to program your old keys.

I foresee an event such as this in the near future: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBR0oNp9A7c

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an invoice on the way with the VIN of the donor Jeep. I mentioned a lawyer and suddenly the people who previously had no idea what year Jeep the steering column came out of "discovered" some "new" information.

To add to my heap of misery, one of the mechanics says I won't pass VA State Inspection until this is fixed. It's not 100% certain I will be staying here permanently, but if I do it would be kind of nice to have transportation.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortuneately I do not have the Service Manual for the 2007 models.

What exactly did get damaged in the theft attempt?

If they replaced the steering column did they fit a new clock-spring and did they fit it properly?

I have never heard of a WCM module....the SKIM module sits on the top of the steering column and has a loop going around the key entrance to pick up the signal from the chipped key...the thieves were probably trying to hotwire this SKIM module....the Dealers probably replaced it which is why they had to give you new keys to match the SKIM module.

Most of the functions of the TPMS and fog lights go through the BCM....which maybe needs re-programming. The PCM would have had to be re-programmed to have the new SKIS code match the new SKIM module....perhaps the Dealers did not program the PCM correctly so that it has the wrong VIN number and thinks that there is TPMS fitted.

Unfortunately some of the wiring under the dash area might have been damaged and if there is damage to the communication Bus all sort of funny things could happen.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I do not have the Service Manual for the 2007 models.
I'm actually working off a 2006 SM myself, which seems good enough, but who knows?

What exactly did get damaged in the theft attempt?
The steering column shroud was bashed off and the entire ignition area was beaten in with a hammer. The lock for the tilt steering wheel was damaged badly enough that the wheel could not be raised above its lowest position.

Essentially, anything from just below the steering wheel itself down to the point where the column has no electrical parts.

If they replaced the steering column did they fit a new clock-spring and did they fit it properly?
The invoice says they did replace it. Whether they did it "properly", I have no way of knowing...

I have never heard of a WCM module....the SKIM module sits on the top of the steering column and has a loop going around the key entrance to pick up the signal from the chipped key...the thieves were probably trying to hotwire this SKIM module....the Dealers probably replaced it which is why they had to give you new keys to match the SKIM module.
That all makes sense, based both on the evidence of the break-in itself and also what was replaced.

Most of the functions of the TPMS and fog lights go through the BCM....which maybe needs re-programming. The PCM would have had to be re-programmed to have the new SKIS code match the new SKIM module....perhaps the Dealers did not program the PCM correctly so that it has the wrong VIN number and thinks that there is TPMS fitted.
I go with Occam's Razor when I can and that sounds like the most straightforward explanation.

Trouble is, no one at two different Jeep dealerships and a couple repair shops seem to have any idea how to do this or even check if it was done previously. They plug the daggone box in, then tell me there is nothing listed regarding TPMS. I am copying this down to maybe be able to nudge the next person who looks at this in a better direction.

Unfortunately some of the wiring under the dash area might have been damaged and if there is damage to the communication Bus all sort of funny things could happen.
Yeah, at a certain point I have to rely on the word of the mechanic who fixed it. I have assurances that everything was done correctly, but we all know what assurances can be worth.

Thanks! :)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an invoice on the way with the VIN of the donor Jeep...

VIN of the Jeep from which the replacement column came:

1J4GK48KX7W621656

Anyone with access to a report site have any info? From what I have read about the code it does seem to have been an '07.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Except you don't have a SKIM you have a SKREEM. I'd still lean more this a way since all that was replaced was the column....but the VIN does show up as an 07.

On older models, such as mine, the module in the column is called a SKIM. Your SKREEM is different (incompatible). I'm pretty sure 05 is the transition year. Those clueless bastids may have slapped an 04 or older column into your Jeep, which would explain the inability to program your old keys.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is what my insurance company says was replaced:

Code:
SUPPLEMENT SUMMARY

Changed Items

N 4 * S01 Repl LKQ Steering column auto trans
N 15 * Repl LKQ LT Fixed glass w/run channel, Jeep privacy

Added Items

N 11 * S01 Repl Module immobilizer
N 19 # S01 Repl KEYS X2
20 RESTRAINT SYSTEMS
21 * S01 R&I Clockspring w/o elec.stability m Incl.

OTHER CHARGES

Deleted Items
# S01 E.P.C.

The whole document runs fifteen pages in MSWORD, but most of it was administrative baloney.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So they "added" an immobilizer module (the wireless security key module). Need to find out which one they put in (SKIM or SKREEM), they may have put in the wrong one (SKIM).

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
So they "added" an immobilizer module (the wireless security key module). Need to find out which one they put in (SKIM or SKREEM), they may have put in the wrong one (SKIM).

Added to my list for the Monday morning phone call to the mechanic who did the work.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I bet if you find they SKIMped on the old family recipe, you're gonna SKREEM bloody ******, eh? :happy175:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Added to my list for the Monday morning phone call to the mechanic who did the work.

According to my documentation, the 2005 and 2006 models use a SKREEM while the 2002/3 models use a SKIM module....dont know about the 2004.

Attached is the PCM/SKREEM Programming procedure from the 2006 Service Manual. I have also seen that the BCM is responsible for things like the front Fog Lights!

If you go to the "How To" section a and search on "VIN Number Decoding" there is a description of how to decode the VIN...slightly out of date for your 2007 but it does seem that the new steering wheel came from a 2007 model.

The Jeep would probably not work at too well at all if the Dealers fitted a SKIM instead of a SKEEM but I may be wrong.....the connectors may even be different...I think they have programmed the PCM incorrectly to reflect that TPMS exists!

I will see what I can find out as regards the TPMS and PCM correlation:shrug:

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 13

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Info that I had found pointed to the SKREEM/WCM as being the pickup point for the TPMS.
If not the WCM, then what wireless module(s) is picking up the wheel signals, what are they called, where are they, and what do they look like?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Man, I bet if you find they SKIMped on the old family recipe, you're gonna SKREEM bloody ******, eh? :happy175:
I wish I could laugh about it. Maybe I will someday. ;)

A...Attached is the PCM/SKREEM Programming procedure from the 2006 Service Manual. I have also seen that the BCM is responsible for things like the front Fog Lights!...I think they have programmed the PCM incorrectly to reflect that TPMS exists!

I am going to wave that document under the mechanic's nose and see what he tries to tell me.

This has all been very helpful and I can't thank everyone enough. If there are more suggestions I would love to have them. The more I can throw at them the harder it will be for them to give me the brush-off . (Again.)

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found it. On the frame/body, at the wheels is a, click here> TPMS trigger module parts #14 & 15
So those sources saying the WCM is the receiver is misinformation, such a friggin mystery. With that, I'd tend to agree that it's likely they may have reprogrammed your PCM wrong.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been hollering "programming" since this began. That's probably partly because I'm a computer guy (when the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail), and partly because it would be such an easy thing to correct. (I'm lazy, too.)

What mystifies me is watching a tech from the dealership in Ohio sit there for twenty minutes going through the programming and concluding that there were no references whatsoever to TPMS that he could find. I wanted to yank the thing out of his hands and see if I could find it myself.

The funny thing is, my searching through the 6,000-page Service Manual found plenty of references to TPMS and its dependent components. Yet everyone at two dealerships and several other places act like they have never really dealt with it very much. That TPMS forum seemed to have plenty of people with troubles, doesn't anyone know how to fix this stuff? The people here have told me 100X as much as I learned from any of the so-called professionals.