TPMS Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been hollering "programming" since this began. That's probably partly because I'm a computer guy (when the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail), and partly because it would be such an easy thing to correct. (I'm lazy, too.)

What mystifies me is watching a tech from the dealership in Ohio sit there for twenty minutes going through the programming and concluding that there were no references whatsoever to TPMS that he could find. I wanted to yank the thing out of his hands and see if I could find it myself.

The funny thing is, my searching through the 6,000-page Service Manual found plenty of references to TPMS and its dependent components. Yet everyone at two dealerships and several other places act like they have never really dealt with it very much. That TPMS forum seemed to have plenty of people with troubles, doesn't anyone know how to fix this stuff? The people here have told me 100X as much as I learned from any of the so-called professionals.
Was the PCM/BCM changed? If not no programming was done.The only thing they needed to program is the new key's which has nothing to do with TPMS.

When the dealer programs PCM's and BCM's they must have the vehicles VIN in the scanner and then the scanner get's hooked up to the internet and to the vehicle manufacturers website.The only programs it will download into the scanner are those verified by VIN.I know I have had to do it hundreds of times when working at the dealership(GM and Jeep).

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Was the PCM/BCM changed? If not no programming was done.The only thing they needed to program is the new key's which has nothing to do with TPMS.
I doubt it. No part number was listed for the PCM/BCM on the repair bill and that area of the dash escaped damage by the thief.

When the dealer programs PCM's and BCM's they must have the vehicles VIN in the scanner and then the scanner get's hooked up to the internet and to the vehicle manufacturers website.The only programs it will download into the scanner are those verified by VIN.I know I have had to do it hundreds of times when working at the dealership(GM and Jeep).
When I returned to the shop that did the repair to give them a second shot they had a guy come over from the dealer side with a programming tool. It was a standalone piece of equipment so if it had Internet access it was wireless. The tech did not inspire a lot of confidence in me, mainly due to his apparent inability to understand the problem at hand (on several occasions he had to be convinced that something was indeed wrong). He fiddled around for ten minutes or so then stated that there was nothing in there pertaining to TPMS, at which point he unplugged everything and left.

I am not getting any codes, but would any of this help?

Jeep Liberty Code deciphered (Code in ?) P1698

I throw that last in there because it is the first and only time I have found any sort of detailed instructions for troubleshooting anything at all in any of the onboard computer modules short of replacement of the modules themselves.

If my Jeep were in your shop where would you be looking? What I could really use at this point is for someone who knows what they are doing to provide enough information so I can lead the tech in the right direction. Thanks to stubbornness on the part of my insurance company I may be looking at another 800-mile round-trip to give them yet a third try at it. I would do that in a minute if I were absolutely sure that this problem would be laid to rest once and for all, but am not to keen on another 800-mile trip with the TPMS light flashing at me constantly if I'm no better off afterwards.

To recap my adventures, after an attempted theft the steering column was replaced. The old keys could not be synched and had to be replaced. Since then I have been getting a TPMS warning and my fog light switch has no effect. (The fogs come on with the running lights and stay on until the headlights are turned completely off.)

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PCM/TCM is located under the hood(by the battery),the BCM is located under the dash on the left side,the keyless entry module attaches to the BCM(premium BCM only).

If it was in my shop I'd ship it to the dealer without even looking at it and no-charge the ticket.I would simply write on the ticket "refer to dealership" and authorize "no charge" on the ticket and hang it up in the "completed" hook. We are not a dealership and do not have the tools to do dealer level programming.I do not mess with those issues and never will again,such a pain with canbus.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
A month later and I'm still fighting this.

Here's a longshot question: Would it be worth it to me to gamble $75 on a junkyard BCM?

I am getting no help anywhere else and am facing the reality that if this is ever to be solved it is on me to do it.

You must be registered for see images attach

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it doesn't work, can you turn around and sell it to someone else for $65.00 ? I'd say that would be worth a shot....

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
If it doesn't work, can you turn around and sell it to someone else for $65.00 ? I'd say that would be worth a shot....
I hadn't even thought of that - what a great idea! :)

I'm going to see what would be involved in putting the thing in. I have read so much stuff over the past three months that it's all jumbled around in my mind. I think it's by the fuse panel and shouldn't be too hard.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Work safely...be sure you use jackstands!
To yank the fuse box? Ummm...I like to live on the edge. :icon_lol:

It appears my memory was correct about the location:

You must be registered for see images attach

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone think this is worth doing?

Jeep Electronic Control Unit Reset

When installing new power or performance accessories how does the computer for the Jeep know that it has a new accessory? Most of the time the computer does not. The computer would need to be reset to take full potential of the performance accessories you have added.

The Electronic Control Module, or ECU as its commonly called, stores the information for your vehicle and your driving habits in its memory. The memory is maintaned by a series of capacitors that hold a charge and maintain power for the ECU when the vehicle is turned off. The following procedure will allow you to reset the memory and allow the computer to 're-learn' how to drive by adjusting to the drivers habits and the vehicles modifications.

1. Disconnect the battery by removing the positive battery cable. Remember, the positive battery cable.

2. Ground the positive cable to the negative cable for 30 seconds to erase the electric charge in the capacitors.

3. Reconnect the positive cable to the battery.

4. Turn the key to on but do not start.

5. Turn the headlights on.

6. Turn the headlights off.

7. Turn the key off.

The ECU has now been reset to its factory settings. For the next 50 warm-up periods the ECU will re-learn the engine and driving habits for your driving conditions and the newly installed parts.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully it will clear that CEL for you once and for all time[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow - I gave you guys a whole month off without whining about this. You should be grateful. :icon_lol:

I just came across a pdf of the dealer brochure for my year and was enjoying reading all the little marketing stuff they had to tell people what we already know: This is a great Jeep.

At the end they had a section listing all of the basic factory configurations and the first thing that caught my eye was that the TPMS system was not even available as an option in the Sport edition. I'm now wondering if the new electronics from the donor Jeep could have come out of a Limited edition. The repair mechanic swore up and down that he got the replacement column from a 2007 but I'm wondering if that might be the problem right there. I'm hoping to be back in Cleveland in a week or two (how often do you hear someone say THAT) and I am giving them one last chance to do me right. Believe me, the Sport vs. Limited question will be raised.