TPMS question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 04 Liberty Renegade that after 8 model years, the batteries in the Tire sensors are starting to wear out especially here in the minus 20 to 30 days and nights. I ordered 5 new ones from Rockauto and no problems there but when I got them, I wondered if they were already transmitting a signal and how much life was left in them. Can you imagine a whole warehouse with transmitting tire signals. There was not a date on the box, but maybe the code would shed some light on it.
cheers

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting, never thought about the battery in those suckers. I didn't think they would be transmitting unless there was some pressure on them. Wouldn't you think so? When the tire is flat it is 0 (no pressure/no signal)..

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats a good point, when i installed them, the evic is reading 0 on all four corners and is flashing. it appears the 04 is different from the 05 and up in that the later years use some sort of transponders in the wheelwells, 3 of them. It appears that to wake them up and start transmitting they have to be going a certain speed, 25 mph. when it stops raining here I am going to see what happens.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's used to detect swaps. Good Luck, I have no idea about 04/05 difference for TPMS.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TPMS sensors are transmitting the PSI they are reading(which is always 3-4psi lower then actual) no matter what until it gets broken or the battery dies.Once that battery is installed when they make them it is transmitting.When putting new ones on you need to program them so your vehicle will read there coded freqs.

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the good advice, that's exactly what I did, it was easier than i thought, I hope I will be good for another 7 years. By then the jeep will just broken in.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online