Towing with the Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwolfe

Reaction score
I couldn't find a decent write up on the Liberty's towing capabilities so he goes mine. For those of you wondering about how the Liberty tows......don't. Unless of course your towing a massive RV. Common sense must come into play here. I towed this trailer loaded with heavy garage equipment (large air compressor, tools, huge generator, shelving and so on). I would guess the weight at 4k (again a guess could have been heavier or lighter). Also the trailer is very high and caught quite a bit of wind. How did it do you ask.

Sagging:
Didn't happen..... I did load the trailer correctly so I'm sure that comes into play here..... Again common sense.

Pickup:
I was towing 4k, I didn't expect drag car performance but I was impressed. The jeep had plenty of torque to get it up to highway speed.... And no I didn't mash the throttle. Come to think of it, my jeep has never been floored.

Cruising:
I pulled it loaded in tow haul at 70mph for about 30 miles. Yes the gas mileage dropped, common sense. It stayed around 3,000 rpm if I remember correctly. After unloading I didn't use tow haul and at 70 mph the jeep had no problem maintaining a gear and I even got Eco on.

Braking:
I didn't find this to be an issue. I never needed to slam my brakes as I remembered I was towing a trailer and didn't tailgate and thought ahead.....common sense.

Trailer sway:
Trailer what..... It didn't budge, it pulled straight as an arrow on a slightly windy day.

Closing thoughts:
If you need to tow a massive trailer, don't buy this vehicle. If you're looking to tow a small/medium box trailer, garden trailer or popup camper this vehicle does just fine and is actually quite impressive. The Liberty will tow what the majority of people will need without problems.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 28

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have the factory tow option on my 04 . But I've towed a 6 X 10 enclosed from Toledo ( Ohio) area to Boston and back twice, 3 times to Orlando and back , loaded one way all times, plus a bunch of miles in and around Ohio.
I also have a 5 X 8 open with 2 foot sides that I stack with firewood and haul / deliver and never had an issue. Actually hooked a trailer to mine loaded at 101 miles and took off on a 250 mile trip :rockit:

I like the remark, "never been floored"
better take it out and do it every now and again.
Helps them more than driving it and babying it. Mines off the rev limiter at least two-three times a week, 179,000 miles, 21 MPG on the highway, doesn't use any oil. I take the very best care of it, but still burn the carbon out of it weekly

Jwolfe

Reaction score
No factory tow option. But thay all have a transmission cooler.

Tom - Im not sure about your flooring statement. I always kick my cars down a gear and hold the RPM's high (not against the rev limiter) to blow carbon. Flooring is horrible for cars, imo......

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No factory tow option. But thay all have a transmission cooler.

Tom - Im not sure about your flooring statement. I always kick my cars down a gear and hold the RPM's high (not against the rev limiter) to blow carbon. Flooring is horrible for cars, imo......

Nope not at all , flooring them is not bad unless you're being stupid about it
I've ran several vehicles now well over 250,000-300,000 miles with no problems
You have to drive em , not baby them. They will carbon up for sure.
Plus the very first shovelhead motor I built with the help of an old Harley mechanic back in 1973, I asked him how to break it in. His response was how are you going to run it for the next ten years, putting around or wringing it out? I broke it in and every engine there after the way I drive them daily.
179,000 and no issues

Outofideas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just started pulling a larger pop up than we had before. The liberty has plenty of power to pull. I have not gone over about 62 mph as I am getting some sway. Going to load differently and already dropped the hitch 2" and pulls a little better. May go with load levelers or air shocks in the back as it drops quite a bit with the RS5000's I have a prodigy brake controller and the setup stops better then the liberty by itself.
I recently upgraded and installed the HD shroud and mechanical fan.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
. Flooring is horrible for cars, imo......
In what way?

I can't find one reason running WOT hurts a properly running engine at operating temps while driving(under a load)<<<< key phrases.

Guess I've been doing it wrong all these years:rofl:,mine hits the rev limiter at least 10 times a day and has since I bought it brand new almost 11 years ago(minus 2 years it sat in storage while deployed).

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
In what way?

I can't find one reason running WOT hurts a properly running engine at operating temps while driving(under a load)<<<< key phrases.

Guess I've been doing it wrong all these years:rofl:,mine hits the rev limiter at least 10 times a day and has since I bought it brand new almost 11 years ago(minus 2 years it sat in storage while deployed).

Completely agree
seen too many carboned up, fouled plugs/ etc over the years of people who putt around. Ever see the cops go out of town every now and again and blow theirs out. They all do

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just started pulling a larger pop up than we had before. The liberty has plenty of power to pull. I have not gone over about 62 mph as I am getting some sway. Going to load differently and already dropped the hitch 2" and pulls a little better. May go with load levelers or air shocks in the back as it drops quite a bit with the RS5000's I have a prodigy brake controller and the setup stops better then the liberty by itself.
I recently upgraded and installed the HD shroud and mechanical fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are those Cherokee wheels? They look like they have the same backspacing as TJ Moabs - which I can't find at a decent price. Maybe those you have will be easier to get hold of...

Bob