Towing a Travel Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ikster

Reaction score
We are thinking of getting a small travel trailer to get back down to Arizona from Washington for awhile. The Jeep seems sensitive steering at times. So we wonder if towing a trailer will make it more stable or less. Appreciate all help and thoughts.
2005 Jeep Liberty Limited V-6, 4WD, Auto Trans

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 08 same motor but different suspension and frame, etc. I think you have the same limit, 3500 lbs. So that would limit your trailer size.

I tow a utility trailer, 725 lbs with an ATV on it, maybe 700 lbs more. And it does fine.

I do know that many people way overload trucks and trailers and tow them. I would never do that.

There are many v8s out there looking for good homes and with greater towing capacity.
dc

Kevin.G

Reaction score
I have the exact same 05 KJ. I tow a camper trailer weighting around 1,400 kg (just over 3,000 lbs) fully loaded. Our trips are normally long distance on varying road surfaces and terrain, and the Jeep is normally fully loaded as well. In my experience, as long as your suspension system and setup is in good condition (ball joints and bushes front and rear), all torqued up correctly, with the correct tire pressures - you should have no steering issues. The only thing your KJ will be guilty of is providing you with miles of pleasure.

I must add that with this load I normally cruise at around 100 kph (about 60 Mph) on flat even, tar roads, with no problem except fuel consumption, this is when the V6 becomes very thirsty.

mgd

Reaction score
We are thinking of getting a small travel trailer to get back down to Arizona from Washington for awhile. The Jeep seems sensitive steering at times. So we wonder if towing a trailer will make it more stable or less. Appreciate all help and thoughts.
2005 Jeep Liberty Limited V-6, 4WD, Auto Trans
I purchased my 2012 KK new. I purchased a 17’ Casita fiberglass travel trailer about a year later. The KK has the factory towing package, with 500 lb tongue and 5000 total tow weight. I towed the trailer from my home in northeastern Utah to Arizona dozens of times (We have a daughter in the PHX are). I also towed it to Portland many times, and once to the Olympic peninsula, as well as to Mt. Ranier, etc. Altogether, I estimate that I towed it around 60,000 miles. The Jeep has 236,000 miles at present. The Casita weighs about 3500 lb when we are loaded (30 lb propane, 25 gallons of fresh water, plus food and clothing.

I always towed it using a Andersen weight distribution hitch, which incorporates sway control. You need to keep 10-15% of the trailer’s weight directly on the tongue. You do not state what kind of towing gear—if it came with factory tow package, you’re good to go.

I felt I was on the edge of its towing capacity. I would not want to haul anything heavier. I still have the Jeep, but I tow the trailer with a 2021 Toyota Tacoma which has 670 lb tongue and 6500 lb trailer weight capacity. I still use the Andersen WDH.

If you have no engines or suspension issues, you should be fine as long as you keep the weight down. If your trailer weighs more than about 2500 lb, I would use a WDH. Also, if your trailer has electric brakes, install a brake controller and use those brakes.