Towing and OD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed my class III hitch and brake controller. I will be towing a combined trailer / car weight of about 3,500#. Every thread I see seems to recommend towing with the OD off. My question is, how about on level ground when the vehicle isn't under a lot of strain?
Thanks,
Bruce

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a level stretch of highway overdrive is fine, the reason why so many recommend shutting it off is when your going down a hilly road thats enough to make it downshift your trans will be shifting up and down a lot, building up extra heat and adding wear and tear to it.

Main thing is if your in overdrive and it tends to downshift and shift back up a lot, hilly or not, then turn off the overdrive to prevent it.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Bruce, I tow a travel trailer, around 3500 lbs when loaded.

I would agree that if the road is flat and it will stay in OD without downshifting on it's own then you'll be fine.

My experience though has been that unless you're going across the Praries, roads are rarely perfectly flat and level :)

Even a slight incline will usually cause mine to start slowing down and downshift to maintain cruising speed (using cruise control).

That could vary depending on what you're towing, a travel trailer has a large frontal area causing wind resistance too - something with a smaller profile could be better.

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
x3.....I tow in O/D on flat highway with no issues. But lock out O/D otherwise.

Dave

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, it depends on the load, wind resistance, you name it. But like we all said, if it behaves you can definitely tow in overdrive, but when it starts shifting a lot lock her out!

Roads certainly aren't flat around here... Maybe if we visited Kansas?? LOL

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't towed anything yet, but when I do, O/D will be off the whole time.

I also turn O/D off when going up a hill when not towing.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I always leave my OD on....but I don't tow, and my driveway is usually the steepest hill the KJ sees....

Latest posts

Members online