Rear brake backing plates, almost $400 what gives?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randyre

Reaction score
Are they made of GOLD and painted black? What in the world makes them so expensive? Nearly every other backing plate I find is under $100 for the pair, including other Dodge and Jeep products.

The Wrangler, Nito and KK you can get a fully populated backing plate with hardware and shoes for about $150 each. I wonder if they can be adapted to out, looks like they have four holes for mounting. Anybody know of any options?

Mine are pretty rusty, I was able to rebuild my parking brakes just fine, but the holes for the shoe retaining pins are really rusted out and it's only a matter of time before the pins pop through and the shoes come loose inside the drum. I put a washer on the front pin, but the rear pin is recessed and if you use a washer the pin isn't long enough anymore.

Any thoughts?

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Junkyards.

And, if you look at the parts diagram or catalogue, you will see what other vehicles your parts fit. So your search in the junkyard is expanded to other Chrysler parts. But be sure to be ready to compare them with your old ones before purchase.
dc

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the 2 piece replacements were expensive-don't have to remove an axle to install, then I saw the OEM version was just as expensive

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
It's really a shame that the OEM stamped steel braking plates were not galvanized (zinc coated)
It is definitely not cheap to replace the rear braking plates. Preventative maintenance is key, with all the salt / brine they place on winter roadways.
Every 2 years, it is best to inspect rear brakes completely, and use rustolium spray paint to keep rust at a minimum.

Attachments

• Rear Braking Plate.jpg
    Rear Braking Plate.jpg
    869.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Rear Brakes Needed Attn.jpg
    Rear Brakes Needed Attn.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 31

Members online

No members online now.