WHOAH NELLIE!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today, my daughter was driving to work, and the vehicle slid on the ice on our road (one of the last roads in the county to get ANY type of care in the winter). anyway, as soon as it slid, a slew of warning lights came on in the dash. the "ESP-BAS, BRAKE, CAR WITH SQUIGGLY LINES UNDER IT, AND THE ABS lights all came on. and the stayed lit all the way to her work. after her turning it off, and me turning it on, all of the lights went away. after pressing fairly ******* the brakes, to make sure they were still in mechanical working order, i went to take it for a drive. I did not make it far, about 30 feet, where a tire started to slide on the ice in the parking lot. so i restarted the truck, and everything went back to normal again. well, as it turns out, EVERY TIME a wheel slips, all of the above lights come on, and stay on until the truck is restarted. My Liberty has never done any of that. but being 2 years older (mine is a 2005, and hers is a 2007), and not having "STABILITY CONTROL", I do not have to put up with such nonsense, Is there a common problem, fix, or failed part that needs replacing to fix this? I can see all of these lights coming on when the computer senses wheel slippage. but they should go out after a few seconds. having to stop it, shut it off, and restart it after every time a wheel slips can NOT be right.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe start with looking at pending codes for the ABS section. My 06 lost his mind a few times like this and in poor traction areas would fire the warning flares like that. Eventually I found a bad wheel speed sensor on 1 of the front hubs.

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one of the wheel sensor wires rub against the tire and start shorting. It did all kinds of weird things, and the code it ended up throwing was for steering angle comparative which sent me down a nightmare rabbit hole with the clockspring. luckily I got some advice about this before I ripped into it, and after splicing the sensor wire back together no more problems, so glad I didnt have to change the clockspring.

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one of the wheel sensor wires rub against the tire and start shorting. It did all kinds of weird things, and the code it ended up throwing was for steering angle comparative which sent me down a nightmare rabbit hole with the clockspring. luckily I got some advice about this before I ripped into it, and after splicing the sensor wire back together no more problems, so glad I didnt have to change the clockspring.
well, for some reason, the truck has not repeated the issue since that one time. I am going to wait until it repeats its initial problem, and try to read the codes. I hate trying to find a problem when i do not have a place to start looking.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Clockspring isn't very hard to change. Just don't give it the extra turn the Factory Service Manual calls for or it will break. It's an error.

Wheels straight, steering wheel straight, very gently turn clockspring in your hands until it stops, turn it back the other way until it stops while counting turns, divide by two and turn back that much and it's centered, install.

New clocksprings come pinned.