Tire Pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been off-roading in the snow a lot lately (not too deep) and have always kept my tire pressure at 35psi to maximize ground clearance. However, after not quite making it up an incline I decided to try reducing the tire pressure to 18psi. Boy did that make a difference. I was able to get up so much easier. What tire pressure do you recommend and what is the lowest without having to worry about bead seperation for radials?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most times I go 14-16
BUT I run Goodyear MTR's on the KJ and superswamper LTB's on the TJ
I think that 16 is fine for trail duty but NEVER for road duty on an "C Load"
tire or a non bias ply tire ,I only run 24 psi in the LTB's for road duty

Now if you want to run low psi for trail use that is fine but you should have a way to air up before you drive home
I recommend CO2
simple and reliable until the bottle is empty but you will know when that will happen
and for reference a 5# CO2 set up will air up 19 - 225/75 R16 tires from 15 to 35 psi
as per power tanks website
so after the 4th trail ride go get it refilled or for bigger tires after the 3rd

Last edited:

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So 15 psi would be a good pressure in the snow? I guess it depends on the tires. My tires are awesome in the snow escpecially when aired down. In deeper snow they lose traction but are still decent. MTR's would probably be better in the deep stuff.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a load range "D" or "E" tires you'd be safe going to 12-14psi depending on your rim size/tire size.You can go lower on a wider tire/thinner rim combo.I run about 12psi with my 265/75's on 7" rims.I'll be able to run about 8-10psi with my 35x13.50's on 8" rims without beadlocks.