tire covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAT

Reaction score
What are the rest of you using for tire covers? Any experience with the MOPAR molded tire covers (are they easy to steal)? Should I be looking at the anti-theft tire cover instead? Love to see some pics.

04RkMtnKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it off as soon as I got home. Liked the look of the matching spare. I did however go out and but anti-theft key locks and used the extra lug nuts and mounted them in the empty holes so now it looks like there is five nuts holding it on.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the original (soft cover) one that says Jeep Liberty. I like it. Maybe I will try it without it once winter ends. I have a locking lug nut but I do need the mount lock.

bigfella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to leave mine on. I have the spare mounted bike rack and it has several advantages as I see it:

1) It protects the tire rubber from the SoCal sun

2) It protects the tire from the bike rack rubbing on it and leaving wear marks

3) it hides the fact that you can just unbolt the tire and walk away with the tire, bike rack, and bike! :) With the cover on you see the bike rack padlocks and it appears that the whole thing is locked on by this.

I have some locking lugs to put on this weekend to help that last one! I also had to cut a small square out of the center of the tire cover so I could leave it this way. You can see pictures of it on my site.

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where'd you get your bike rack? I'm going to need one soon.

I have a trailer hitch rack I used to use on my Cherokee, but I fear the rear tire mount on the Liberty will interfere with it.

deboy922

Reaction score
JAT said:
What are the rest of you using for tire covers? Any experience with the MOPAR molded tire covers (are they easy to steal)? Should I be looking at the anti-theft tire cover instead? Love to see some pics.

Jat - just a quick comment concerning anti-theft. I had two tire covers stolen in less than a year. I live in Lafayette, IN where there is an extremely low crime rate. I have never had anything stolen from a vehicle in 20 years besides these two tire covers. Anyway...maybe just my bad experience, but I would advise some type of anti-theft.

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JJO

I have a hitch mount bike rack and it is by Thule. It should be fine if you have a similar one. Mine also will tilt down if I have it on and need to open the rear of the Libby (no bikes on the rack though). I first thought it wouldn't fit the Libby (originally had it for my Camry), so I bought an extension, but since I had to also add an adapter for the receiver size (rack is 1 1/4" and hitch is 2"), I don't need the extension.

bigfella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow KJ'ers. To answer your questions:

jjo, the bike rack is from MOPAR. Very easy to install, very easy to deal with. You can open the back door even with bikes on the rack which is very nice. They also make a ski rack that mounts in the same location. I ordered mine online from this place:

http://www.jeepworld.com/accessories/liberty/bikeracks.htm

Alot of other places sell this rack system as well. I too have an old rack from my XJ. A roof rack from Yakima but there is no way my wife can use that (she really couldn't before either). The tire rack was a much better option. Although we are keeping the Yakima rack so we can mount a basket up there when we go camping and traveling.

04RkMtnKJ, the underseat sub cables directly into the system with a cable they provide. No spilicng wires or anything. It's a very sweet install. Takes about 30 minutes. It makes a noticable difference in the sound as well. I do have the premium sound system and before I got the sub I would hear the front speakers crackling with some bass. They don't do that nearly as much anymore and there is more low end freq. response. Is it as good as some of the aftermarket subs? nope. If your looking for just a little more then it will provide that and has a nice install so you don't lose any cargo room. If your looking to shake your neighbors house or impress people at a drifting party then it's not going to do it. I think it was worth the money for me anyway.

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tire cover

I wrote the last 6 digits of the vin # on the bottom rear surface of the tire cover with a coarse Sharpie permanent ink pen. It seems to deter theft so far. I've been using this system on all my tire covers for the last 15 years.

If someone steals your cover, they're not going to get your mark off and it would be easy to identify. Why steal a "defaced" unit when they can get a nice unmarked one from somebody else?

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
I used to have a tire cover, but my 31" tire won't fit in it anymore.

Looks better without a tire cover on M/T's anyways.

Bennett

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the black soft cover that says Jeep in black letters on it. I leave it on it, because I still got the original spare and it doesn't match my TA KOs on the rims \:D/

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
'04 Sport models didn't get spare tire covers. I'm still using the original dealer supplied cover... yes, with their info and number all over it.

Anyone know how to take that off? hehe.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone remember where to find the lock that goes on the spare tire from behind, to keep someone from removing the assembly that the spare hangs on? I thought I recall someone saying it was on EBAY, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks.

04RkMtnKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Does anyone remember where to find the lock that goes on the spare tire from behind, to keep someone from removing the assembly that the spare hangs on? I thought I recall someone saying it was on EBAY, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks.

Is this what you were talking about?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7946880065&category=33720

Also I did this to mine but I didnt order it from ebay, I found the same thing at AutoZone for $.99 and used two of my lugnuts from when I put on my locking lug kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7948435686&category=36475

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes! The first link. JAT asked me about that and I couldn't remember what it was under. Thanks. I need to order one...

bigfella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey grogie, if your spare has recessed lug holes that will not work as you cannot get the "tool" in to remove it. I'll look for the instructions and if I can find them I'll post in a new thread.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bigfella said:
Hey grogie, if your spare has recessed lug holes that will not work as you cannot get the "tool" in to remove it. I'll look for the instructions and if I can find them I'll post in a new thread.

I bought the ones from my dealer. I'm not sure which I have, but they worked fine. I am going to add on the mount lock... Thanks for the post on it.