Thumping Noise after not being used for 2 years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

va jeep

Reaction score
Hello Im a newbie to the forum, but hoping someone can help figure out a problem.

I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited. (automatic) - Unfortunately it sat unused for about 2 years, at a slight incline.

Now I am wanting to use it again. Charged battery and started fine. I had to sand the brake pads and rotors.

BUT the problem I am having is when taking it for a few test drives, it makes a Thumping sound, that sounds/feels like it is coming from the middle of the car under the Shifter/center console area.

It does not make the sound when in park or at a stop. It seems to be linked to the speed the vehicle is traveling... The faster I go, the fast the thumping.

Does this sound like a transmission problem? or some kind of Joint?

Any suggestions on hold I could test theories, would be appreciated. Just looking to see if this is something I can fix, or if I need to take it to a mechanic. ( but I would like to have some clue about the possible problem before taking it to a mechanic.)

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I would check the front drive shaft first (transfer case end).... then look for flat spots on the tires.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this sound like a transmission problem? or some kind of Joint?)

Bad joints have been known to cause various thumping noises... :mexsmoke:

As for your Jeep...

I agree with Luke. Probably the CV joint on the transfer case end of the front driveshaft - which sits almost directly below the driver's seat. This thread is an excellent How-To and if you go to driveshaftparts.com you can pick up a new CV joint for less than $60 shipped.

Welcome to the forum!

EDIT: Just saw that DriveShaftParts.com dropped the price AGAIN to $45. I really should stock up :icon_wink:

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like the tires are flat spotted. So just drive it. Mine get flat spotted after a few day and it takes a bit of driving to fix it.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
... imagine how long it would take to drive off 2 year flat spots ... get lots of Advil. :D

va jeep

Reaction score
Thank you for all the responses. I will have to look into them.

The tires looked pretty good when I did the brake pads/rotors. But I really didn't inspect them that well. So ill have to double check them.

Just based on where the noise is coming from... I'm guessing its a good chance its the cv joint.
Either way, thanks for posting the link on where to get them!

Latest posts

Members online