Brake noises after clunk disengaging 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ravthree

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2004 Liberty with approx 84k miles and the 3.7L. Yesterday morning I drove it about 40 miles round trip in the snow in 4 “full time”. Today, the snow melted off, so I was disengaging the 4WD. I think maybe I wasn’t going fast enough/going around a curve and heard a large clunk from the PS front. I was going maybe 5MPH. I shifted back in and out of 4 WD a few times because after the first time, it still felt like the wheels were a bit bound up when turning like is normal when in 4wd despite the shifter being in 2wd. After going back and forth a couple times, it seemed to be back in 2wd. Since then, there has been some intermittent friction/feedback through the brake pedal/noise from the brakes when apply the brakes at slow speeds with what feels like the front brakes. It doesn’t sound like grinding, more like friction on the rotors, but in a different way than just normal braking. Has anybody else had a similar experience? Thank you!

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it could just be a brake issue and unrelated to the 4wd. I'd start by jacking it up and rotating wheels to see if anything is amiss. May have to do it warm and cold. Could also be something as simple as surface rust on rotors after driving on wet salty roads. This scenario should correct itself with just a couple braking evens if so.

Ravthree

Reaction score
Sounds like it could just be a brake issue and unrelated to the 4wd. I'd start by jacking it up and rotating wheels to see if anything is amiss. May have to do it warm and cold. Could also be something as simple as surface rust on rotors after driving on wet salty roads. This scenario should correct itself with just a couple braking evens if so.
Thank you! I should have noted that it just got new tires put on last weekend. Had about 60 miles on them before this started. I’m not sure I’ll have time to look at it this weekend, but will be sure to post back what I find when I do get around do it. Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online