thinking about Rock Lizard bumper - experiences ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donberry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
be nice when I finally pull the trigger so I quit changing my mind.
I will be adding a winch bumper to my KJ. I am now thinking about going with the Rock Lizard center section with winch guard and adding the wings after I get it lifted and probably new tires.
Doing some "research" (google), it seems people are happy with the product itself, but there were quite a few people complaining about paying and then taking a real long time to get it - some even cancled their order and went a different route.

A typical negative post would be
I know their website is very amateur at best, but after looking for bumpers for quite a while I noticed that it did get updated and I really liked this bumper. I had several email conversations with Martin before sending him money, He got back to me in less than a day each time. He made me feel confident that there would be no problem building it and shipping it out with in the month. After the money was sent it was 3 months with an excuse to reply to many emails then 4 months with an excuse then 3 more months later he said it was almost ready, that was june and still no bumper.

I am hoping to decide which way I am going in the next couple of weeks so was wondering if anyone could share any more recent experiences with Rock Lizard and getting their products in a reasonable amount of time or I would guess it might be best for me to keep looking ?
Reason I like this bumper - 1st I like the looks, plus i can just buy the center section and add the wings later, making it easier on the pocketbook. But, if I never get anything in return.........not much use in saving money for something it takes a year to get
Thanks for any info

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I can only say I have the same reservations... which is the main reason I have not ordered anything. Being in a different country ratchets the risk up another level.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Had a ARB for 8 years, sold it and now have a RL, very well built, I have never had an issue with getting anything which includes a rack / rear bumper ( although was used was bought through RL)
VERY VERY VERY well built!
Backside of the center section
You must be registered for see images attach

center section mounted

finishing up wiring lights etc

Over Christmas trip got a lot of positive comments
For the quality of the products they sell you can't go wrong. Each part has to be perfect.
By the way mine was powdercoated so yours maybe different looking

Last edited:

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only say I have the same reservations... which is the main reason I have not ordered anything. Being in a different country ratchets the risk up another level.

I've ordered super sliders, HD rear bumper, and gecko rack to a foreign country without an problems.

donberry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I emailed him and he said there was a 2 week time frame, which would be just fine, but........if I just knew for sure it would only be 2 weeks as I really can't afford to have my money tied up for months....
seems there are many a happy customer, plus seems like a great product and I really like the looks.........I just wish I did not have this feeling of unease..........

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I got my sliders within 2-3 weeks of ordering them! As promised!

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy ordered his recently and got his bumper really quick. Very nice product. He's very happy with the whole process.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

donberry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay, I guess it is decided and I will be getting this bumper. Obviously everyone who has one really likes it and talks about the high quality and after "talking" to Martin via email, was a pretty easy decision. He was very honest about previous delayed orders and didn't try to do what so many do now - throw the blame, but took full responsibility . I can understand why someone would be upset after waiting so long, I would be too, but I do believe I understand the why now.
And what made it easiest for me is I discovered he is a disabled vet wounded in Iraq........pretty much clinched it for me.
I am sure he will be glad I am not emailing him about it anymore as I am obviously very verbose.
I am going to utilize the layaway plan so I can lock in the sale price (his suggestion, I passed over that and didn't even know it was offered) but I should hopefully have it paid off this month. Since I decided to keep this, I don;t need my 2005 caravan anymore so just need to clean it up so I can sell it. It's almost paid off so will be able to pay off the bumper plus have a really, really good start on the lift kit.
Don't know if I will make it, but the plan is to have the bumper, winch and lift kit on by my 55th birthday (yea, I am an old man) which is early April. If I get the van sold, which shouldn't be a problem as I am going to low ball it just to get rid of it, more than likely it will just be a matter of when he gets the bumper completed......
anyway....verbose as usual (legal drugs just kicked in), the bumper is now sort of ordered......the 1st step to my 1st off road jeep

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats , you'll like it for sure everything they do is top notch

And what is this crap being an old man ? Not even 55 yet,:idiot: ya got a ways to go to catch me ! :rotflmao::rotflmao:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...the plan is to have the bumper, winch and lift kit on by my 55th birthday (yea, I am an old man) which is early April...

You'll beat me to 55 by just a month. Save me a good rocking chair when you get there! :D

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
80 is rocking chair time ( maybe hopefully i'm still doing burnouts then), 55's still in your prime no time for a chair

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to utilize the layaway plan so I can lock in the sale price (his suggestion, I passed over that and didn't even know it was offered) but I should hopefully have it paid off this month. Since I decided to keep this, I don;t need my 2005 caravan anymore so just need to clean it up so I can sell it. It's almost paid off so will be able to pay off the bumper plus have a really, really good start on the lift kit.

Sadly, the sale price is not applicable to the SFA kit. :(

donberry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, unfortunately my real age is 55 but I have the body of a 110 year old and my wife tells me I still act like I am 12......so not really sure where that puts me :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My mind tells me at times I'm 16, but then it also tells me some mornings that my body is 88 when I'm trying to roll out of bed.
But gotta keep going. My wife is 20 years younger than me, and she has informed me that after she turns 80 she probably won't need me or "my services" much anymore, so have to make it about another 40 years!:roflsquared::roflsquared:

Jeepologist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i wish you all good luck in getting your orders delivered from RL. As for me I've paid 3k's full upfront and it's 2 years now, neither will he deliver my bumpers nor will he refund my money. All I've received from Martin for the past 2 years is many empty commitments to deliver and when i recently asked him for a refund he completely disappeared and will no longer reply to my e-mails.

Can anybody assist me in getting my money back !

Last edited:

donberry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fwiw - well I sold my jeep but thought I would post my experience with Rock Lizard since I did order the bumper.
I bought it using the layaway plan, paid it off in about a month and a half. I would say about 3 weeks after I paid it off it arrived at my door step, packaged well.
The winch plate and grill guard were not ready yet so he is shipping those to me later (the winch plate should now be on it's way)
He sent me the 3 pieces of the bumper so I could go ahead and finish them and get it installed and the winch plate and guard are just bolt on, so I could add those when they came in - so actually very thoughtful of him.
Contacting him - he did pretty good getting back with me when I had a question. A couple of times I sent him the email twice, but it could have been he just had not gotten to it yet.
Overall I was very satisfied and the bumper itself is top notch - only now I don't have a jeep to bolt it to lol.....
I say go for it if you want one......less than 3 weeks from the time I paid it off - can't complain about that