The 03 Renegade bit the dust...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

draperjojo

Reaction score
I'm new to this jeep forum....My son got rear ended on New Years day, and was pushed into the car in front of him. With the damage to the front and rear, I've been told it will probably be totaled. It's a shame since it didn't even have 100K on it yet. I've sent a letter to the insurance company of the girl that rear ended it and copied my insurance company stating I would only accept a "like" replacement, that being a low mileage Renegade...I guess we'll see where this goes. I did buy a 2007 Liberty Limited yesterday that the kids will use until we resolve this. If anyone knows of a clean low mileage Renegade, please let me know. I will be looking for one after we agree on the value and they cut a check. Meanwhile, I'll go back to my 47 CJ2A restoration(this will be my second flat fender to restore, and I did a CJ7 too) I should be towing the frame down for sandblast soon...with the wife's JK of course...

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope they do right by you without too much arm-twisting. :)

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck getting anywhere with the insurance companies. I know in my area (NE Kansas) finding a good low mileage Liberty for less than 30% over book is near impossible - especially at a dealership. Local Kia dealer had a 2003 Jeep Liberty Limited with 73K, would not budge off their $12K price. Several other dealers where the same way with any that had less than 100K miles and individuals were just as bad.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've sent a letter to the insurance company of the girl that rear ended it and copied my insurance company stating I would only accept a "like" replacement, that being a low mileage Renegade...I guess we'll see where this goes.
Situations like this does suck. The insurance company will give you a book value settlement (payout), they don't go shopping for a replacement Jeep for you. Low mileage does have a bearing on the vehicle's value though, so be firm and raise hell if they try to low-ball you, you can argue/counter their offer. Whether they're good enough to work with you is another thing.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Situations like this does suck. The insurance company will give you a book value settlement (payout), they don't go shopping for a replacement Jeep for you. Low mileage does have a bearing on the vehicle's value though, so be firm and raise hell if they try to low-ball you, you can argue/counter their offer. Whether they're good enough to work with you is another thing.

The problem is "the book" (Kelly or NADA) doesn't allow nearly enough for lower mileage in older vehicle (5 to 10 years) - especially in my area. This is true of all vehicles and much more so for some Jeep models - especially the Wrangler and the Liberty.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem is "the book" (Kelly or NADA) doesn't allow nearly enough for lower mileage in older vehicle (5 to 10 years) - especially in my area. This is true of all vehicles and much more so for some Jeep models - especially the Wrangler and the Liberty.

Between those two, the one that's more true to real life is Edmunds. lol
But insurance companies have their own database "book" based on fair market value in your specific area.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought mine 18 months ago. It was an '07 with only 42,000 miles on it. Bet there ain't no book going to take that into account.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine 18 months ago. It was an '07 with only 42,000 miles on it. Bet there ain't no book going to take that into account.

Wow! and I thought I was doing good to find an '04 with 82,000...Yours is practically a baby!! :gr_grin:

draperjojo

Reaction score
The hitch got pushed back into the gas tank, but the tank didn't rupture.

Attachments

• IMG_1345.jpg
    IMG_1345.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1348.jpg
    IMG_1348.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 39

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe the fuel tank skid plate helped out a bit too.
Without that hitch too, it would have been a lot worst.
Glad nothing caught on fire.

draperjojo

Reaction score
Just replaced the 03 with an 05

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-01-28 at 3.55.18 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2015-01-28 at 3.55.18 PM.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Screen shot 2015-01-28 at 4.29.04 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2015-01-28 at 4.29.04 PM.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 37

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like the only clean ride in the lot. Nice Jeep - I like that color, too. :favorites13:

draperjojo

Reaction score
The wife has been driving the 07 Limited Liberty that I gave to my daughter and asked me to sell her Wrangler Sahara Unlimited and find her one of the clean older Liberty's. She says it rides so much better than the Wrangler. The daughter has the 07, the son has the 05 Renegade with the overhead light bar, and the wife now has the 05 Limited with 67K on it......now to sell a Wrangler.... and install another Nav system.....