Terrible Mileage on 2012?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

a42887

Reaction score
Hello, all. New here. I just bought a 2012 KK (4WD, Automatic). I've been getting terrible mileage, and I'm wondering if it's normal for a new KK, or if I have an issue. My four AVG MPG since new (as calculated by mileage to the tenth and the gallons on the pump) are:

Driving is mostly city with a little highway. Eco mode is on, and the tachometer rarely if ever goes past the 'green' area (over 2500 or something like that). Sticker says 15/21. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You running the AC on full blast? Any ether or ethanol mixed in your area's summer blend of petrol? You are only about 1-2 mpg's away from what is stated on the sticker; pretty small potatoes. Seems like all is normal to me.

Welcome to owning one of the thirstiest small SUV's made. :D

a42887

Reaction score
I'm in Mississippi right now, so yes, the AC is in use, and the state requires 10% ethanol in all fuel here. I understand it's only a few MPG's off sticker, but my thought process was that:

a) It's partially highway, so 15 shouldn't be the base metric
b) The EPA updated the testing method to be more 'accurate', and it should be reasonably close now, as my other vehicles perform within the range on the stickers in the same conditions
c) Lastly, 2 MPG is 13.3% off of the sticker. When you say it in MPG, seems small, but percentage-wise, its a lot.

Thanks for the input so far! It may just be those factors and the vehicle.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
How many miles on it, most seem to take 15-20,000 miles to get fully broke in
Also depends on your driving style
driving like Grandma actually hurts as much as full throttle at times

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How many miles? New ones need to break in for a bit....you should be able to hit 20's highway.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 fill ups and your complaining:happy175::happy175:

You will not get anywhere close to advertized mpg's till at least 10,000+ miles,your engine,trans,t-case,and both diffs have to "break in".Like already stated driving like a grandma will also make it worse as it promnotes heavy carbon buildup fast.Gotta "blow the cobwebs out" at least on a weekly basis for 30-60mins.

Outofideas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CITY MPG
Actual Mileage will vary with options, driving conditions, driving habits and vehicle's condition. Results reported to EPA indicate that the majority of vehicles with these estimates will achieve between
12 and 18 mpg in the city, and between
17 and 25 mpg on the highway.
HIGHWAY MPG
For Comparison Shopping all vehicles declared as
have been issued mileage ratings ranging from 00 to 00 mpg city and 00
to 00 mpg highway.
Fuel Mileage
Information
Estimated Annual Fuel Cost:
$ 3,263

http://www.jeep.com/hostc/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C4PJMFK4CW214583

Seems right on :)

SMETNA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on it, most seem to take 15-20,000 miles to get fully broke in
Also depends on your driving style
driving like Grandma actually hurts as much as full throttle at times

^ This

I just past 20,000 in my 2011, and I consistently get 18mpg combined. Vs about 15mpg combined when newer. Best I ever got was 22.5mpg on a 430 mile highway trip.

a42887

Reaction score
4 fill ups and your complaining:happy175::happy175:

You will not get anywhere close to advertized mpg's till at least 10,000+ miles,your engine,trans,t-case,and both diffs have to "break in".Like already stated driving like a grandma will also make it worse as it promnotes heavy carbon buildup fast.Gotta "blow the cobwebs out" at least on a weekly basis for 30-60mins.

I traded a 2011 GMC Sierra 5.3L V8 WITHOUT Active Fuel Management (Cylinder Deactivation), 4WD, Lifted w/ 33s, and from 0 miles to 22,000 miles, it never gave me this low of mileage, with a larger motor, larger tires, a lift, and more weight. It's a hard cup of Kool-Aid to drink to believe that a Liberty should give me worse mileage than that truck, or that there is any time period where it is acceptable. The sticker mileage was even lower on that truck. I'm not saying it isn't true, maybe Chrysler makes a strange vehicle, but the above comparison is what makes me wonder. No vehicle I've owned needed tens of thousands of miles to break-in. These things don't last much past 100,000 miles, how could 10-20% of the vehicle's life be spent breaking in?

Thanks again for the responses. I'm not intending to argue with said responses, but my previous experience with the previous truck has me weary.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
I traded a 2011 GMC Sierra 5.3L V8 WITHOUT Active Fuel Management (Cylinder Deactivation), 4WD, Lifted w/ 33s, and from 0 miles to 22,000 miles, it never gave me this low of mileage, with a larger motor, larger tires, a lift, and more weight. It's a hard cup of Kool-Aid to drink to believe that a Liberty should give me worse mileage than that truck, or that there is any time period where it is acceptable. The sticker mileage was even lower on that truck. I'm not saying it isn't true, maybe Chrysler makes a strange vehicle, but the above comparison is what makes me wonder. No vehicle I've owned needed tens of thousands of miles to break-in. These things don't last much past 100,000 miles, how could 10-20% of the vehicle's life be spent breaking in?

Thanks again for the responses. I'm not intending to argue with said responses, but my previous experience with the previous truck has me weary.

Your Jeep is intended to go off road. Your silly little bro truck was not.

Also, LOL@they don't last 100k...why would you buy something if you don't think it'll last past 100?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm way past due then since they don't last past 100,000
74,000 past due
and my buddy Chris is 102,000 over the 100,000 mile blow up period :shrug:
Thats funny crap right there

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm way past due then since they don't last past 100,000
74,000 past due
and my buddy Chris is 102,000 over the 100,000 mile blow up period :shrug:
Thats funny crap right there

...tick....tick....tick....................:smokin:

Dave

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's something funny.

My 04 got 18 MPG when it had 3500 miles on it.

Eco mode BS is just that. I still think their electronic BS in these ***** big time. I'd never have an 07 and up.

Jaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took my wife's 2012 Liberty 5-6k miles to get 16-18MPG city (suburbs). Chicago city driving, 12-13MPG lol... Best I ever got in her Jeep on the highway was 23.1MPG going about 60-65MPH.

In the very beginning, think we were getting 13-15MPG city (suburbs) and 10-12MPG city (Chicago).

A lot of it also has to do with driving style. When she drives her Jeep, even if we're in the suburbs, she'll manage maybe 15MPG. As she tends to have a heavy foot on take off. Where as I have a lighter foot and use declines to my advantage (don't accelerate when you don't have to). In the end, we can both get the to the same place, at the same time. She races the red light, I try to catch all greens and time the lights. I hate stopping!

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Then you're saying in less than 9K miles, mine should have blown up... twice? :-s

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Sounds like you are still stuck in the old days where people traded their vehicles right before 100k, around 70-80k.

I got news for you...

If my mom's Kia can pass 100k, then anything can.

Like previously mentioned, the 3.7L does not get near optimal mileage until 10-15k. I've had and driven a few...

'04 KJ
'05 KJ
'08 WK
'10 KK
'08 Dakota
'07 XK

They are gas guzzlers until 10ish K miles. Give it some time. I currently average 16MPG, mostly highway but I am lifted with Duratracs, and the A/C on most of the time, even in winter to get rid of humidity and foggy windows. These are not gas friendly tires. I have 60,000 miles on my KK.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Let's see 400hp in a 5200lbs truck and 200hp in a 4200lbs Jeep.Yeah there is going to be a major MPG difference.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fact of life
Jeeps = poor mpg
Get over it
We have a 2012 Pathfinder
Bigger across the board
We average 18-20 mixed driving and under
5k on the clock
Highway at or below 70 we get 24