Terrible Mileage on 2012?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wrenchman9

Reaction score
I get around 14-16 with my new Liberty. It had 2400 on it when we took off for Sydney, Nova Scotia bound for Newfoundland with a trailer with 2 motorcycles in tow, fully loaded back end and the AC blowing. I AM NOT a light footed driver and I like to get where I'm going. I don't work on saving fuel and was in Tow/Haul for all but about 300 miles. I got 12 consistently except in the area of Maine where it's 75 on I95, then I got 10 LOL. I was OVERJOYED at 12. I fully expected single digits so 12 was a gift. However, the Liberty is the most annoying vehicle I have ever towed with. Tow/Haul is almost 100% required with even 1000 pounds on the back. The cruise response to speed drop required input from me way too many times and trans spends way too much time in lower gears over very minor grades. I can't imagine towing 5000 pounds with this vehicle. What I did find is that 68-72 MPH seems to be the sweet spot and most of the annoying traits vanish almost completely. Seems that there's enough momentum to carry it through most slight grades and give the cruise some time to react. At 60 and below is almost a joke and you have to drive it yourself. Overall I like the Liberty though and I am very pleased with the mileage towing. Coming from a 98 Cherokee with 200k+ running on 5 I have to say the 3.7 is a little disappointing in MPG bare though. Hell my Cherokee got 17 on 5 towards the end and 15 towing. But, as I said I do like my Liberty and up here nestled between the Finger Lakes to the SE and Lake Ontraio 20 miles to the North I can't wait to see how the Liberty performs this winter in comparison to my old Cherokee. I'm the guy you see on the Thruway when it's closed and on the road when they say no unnecessary travel. The way I see it if I have someplace to go it's necessary for me to be on the road. I was born and raised here! Get a Jeep and get out there!

Last edited:

SMETNA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in roughly the same area as you. You're going to love it this winter. Stability control WILL NOT allow you to crash, even if you're trying!

sailorbowman

Reaction score
20 mpg (combined) for this liberty 3.7, towing edition KJ, hasn't changed much at all since new.

There is much that affects mileage results...start hunting for the obvious culprits first. If nothing is found then search for the hideous hidden ones.

SniperJF

Reaction score
I got about 13 on my first tank but I've still to really see the numbers now that I put my usual gas on since I've no idea what they put in the agency. I did gulp when I saw the 60+ bill as I loaded fuel :p