Jeep Liberty 2007 3.7 Auto with ECU Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leaky143

Reaction score
Hi Everyone I'm new to this forum and apologies for the long thread.

Some small history first, I have bought what I believe to be a 2007 Jeep Liberty 3.7 automatic (could be 2006?) and its not performing how it should. I currently work in Egypt and getting any sound advice is proving very difficult.

Here are the problems I am having so any advice would be appreciated (except give it back as that is not an option :()

I have had this car in the workshop for the mechanic to fix on numerous times and I am still no further with the core problem -
1/ VIN number - DA4GL48K874046887 I believe is a local Egyptian number that cannot be deciphered (even by people in USA). This car I now believe is a CKD (Complete Knock Down) which I understand is a car imported in box form and assembled here in Egypt which saves on import tax, I attach below what I have found online for the VIN (if this helps anybody)

1/ My dashboard is lit up like a Christmas tree (pretty much all warning light are on)
2/ Cruise/Speed Control does not work
3/ ABS does not work (as far as I can tell if I break had wheels lock and it skids to a halt)
4/ Engine Service light on
5/ ESP (electronic stability program) not working
6/ Tyre pressure light on
7/ Air sensor on exhaust not working in fact no wire are present just cut off the sensor?

These are the serious issues and the mechanic tells me I need a new ECU/PCU as the unit is installed is not the correct one and this is why all the faults and cruise/speed control are not working so he has used his scanner and cancelled all these faults to turn all the dash warning lights off. I am not convinced this is the case, the unit he tells me I need is (Chrysler S/N P56052 803AB Motorola S/N 803AA).
I believe this car has been been messed with in the past and to keep it running have used any spare parts they could get their hands on hacked the wiring and made it work somehow.

Any questions I would be happy to answer with my limited knowledge.

If any body has any insight into how to resolve this or might know a place where I can get this ECU/PCU I would appreciate any help you can give, Main dealer is not an option here.

Thanking you in advance

VIN:DA4GL48K874046887
WMI/VDS/VIS:DA4 GL48K8 74046887
Manufacturer:Arab American Vehicles Egypt
Brand:Arab
Model:--
Engine:N/A
Mileage:Get Report →

BrandJEEP
NameK1 - CHEROKEE (VENEZUELA CKD)
ModelYear2007 Model Year
MakeEgypt (A.A.V.)
ManufacturerArab American Vehicle (A.A.V.)
Division(CDV)Multiple Passenger Vehicle Front Air Bags
CarLine5001-6000# (2268-2721 KG)
CarLineSeriesCherokee 4x4 LHD (K1 Family)
BodyTypeH (High Line)
RestraintSystem4 Dr (SUV)
Engine3.7L V6 CYL Gasoline (MPI)
Manufactured2007
PlantCairo, Egypt (A.A.V.)
Catalog07K1

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a project!
A lot of the faults could be ABS sensor or wiring related, 2, 3 and 5 are all ABS system related. Check all 4 wheel sensors are wired up and get the ABS system plugged into diagnostics.
The ECU won't be happy if the exhaust sensors are disconnected.
You need to get everything checked and wired up before you start ordering expensive bits.
Europe and America are good for parts, i think ive seen a company in the UAE advertising too.

Leaky143

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice on ABS issues related to the cruise control, I will discuss this with the mechanic to get all these issues fixed, my problem is he is adamant that it needs a replacement Pcu/Ecu but I’m not convinced and your advice seems to reinforce my concerns about buying this expensive part.
Thank you I really appreciate you taking time to respond

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get him or someone else to pull all the fault codes, he may be right if its been butchered but its never going to work correctly if it has wiring disconnected and faulty sensors.
If you search on this site you will find a link to another site with all the OEM service manuals.

Leaky143

Reaction score
Many thanks for your valuable advice, I have downloaded manuals so now a bit of evening reading before I tackle the mechanic
Cheers for your help

Dutchman61

Reaction score
Hi Everyone I'm new to this forum and apologies for the long thread.

Some small history first, I have bought what I believe to be a 2007 Jeep Liberty 3.7 automatic (could be 2006?) and its not performing how it should. I currently work in Egypt and getting any sound advice is proving very difficult.

Here are the problems I am having so any advice would be appreciated (except give it back as that is not an option :()

I have had this car in the workshop for the mechanic to fix on numerous times and I am still no further with the core problem -
1/ VIN number - DA4GL48K874046887 I believe is a local Egyptian number that cannot be deciphered (even by people in USA). This car I now believe is a CKD (Complete Knock Down) which I understand is a car imported in box form and assembled here in Egypt which saves on import tax, I attach below what I have found online for the VIN (if this helps anybody)

1/ My dashboard is lit up like a Christmas tree (pretty much all warning light are on)
2/ Cruise/Speed Control does not work
3/ ABS does not work (as far as I can tell if I break had wheels lock and it skids to a halt)
4/ Engine Service light on
5/ ESP (electronic stability program) not working
6/ Tyre pressure light on
7/ Air sensor on exhaust not working in fact no wire are present just cut off the sensor?

These are the serious issues and the mechanic tells me I need a new ECU/PCU as the unit is installed is not the correct one and this is why all the faults and cruise/speed control are not working so he has used his scanner and cancelled all these faults to turn all the dash warning lights off. I am not convinced this is the case, the unit he tells me I need is (Chrysler S/N P56052 803AB Motorola S/N 803AA).
I believe this car has been been messed with in the past and to keep it running have used any spare parts they could get their hands on hacked the wiring and made it work somehow.

Any questions I would be happy to answer with my limited knowledge.

If any body has any insight into how to resolve this or might know a place where I can get this ECU/PCU I would appreciate any help you can give, Main dealer is not an option here.

Thanking you in advance

VIN:DA4GL48K874046887
WMI/VDS/VIS:DA4 GL48K8 74046887
Manufacturer:Arab American Vehicles Egypt
Brand:Arab
Model:--
Engine:N/A
Mileage:Get Report →

BrandJEEP
NameK1 - CHEROKEE (VENEZUELA CKD)
ModelYear2007 Model Year
MakeEgypt (A.A.V.)
ManufacturerArab American Vehicle (A.A.V.)
Division(CDV)Multiple Passenger Vehicle Front Air Bags
CarLine5001-6000# (2268-2721 KG)
CarLineSeriesCherokee 4x4 LHD (K1 Family)
BodyTypeH (High Line)
RestraintSystem4 Dr (SUV)
Engine3.7L V6 CYL Gasoline (MPI)
Manufactured2007
PlantCairo, Egypt (A.A.V.)
Catalog07K1
This is very familiar to me. The ECU needs to be programmed using a programming tool which is a diagnostic tool. I have one and have done many vehicles including my 2007 Jeep Liberty. As you can see in the photos I will be posting in my profile of what i have done woth the one I currently have. But I have experienced this when replacing the ECU after I installed a new Jasper engine and transwmissiion and added some extras to give it that ability to smoke the tires when I punch the throttle. The programming takes a bit of time and wortth it.

Leaky143

Reaction score
Hi Dutchman61
I look forward to seeing what you have done, can you share what the specs are for the programme software/equipment and can I purchase this
Thnx