Tell me what ya think.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
KB, don't you know? It's only illegal if you don't get caught!
And they only catch people that can afford a $10,000 fine!

Jeez, common sense man ;)

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you asked what I think so here it is
insted of installing functional tow hooks you installed a brush guard that will do more damage to your Jeep should you get in a minor fender bender

Just what I think

I don't know about that. On my way to the company Christmas party tonight, I found a fairly large piece of furniture on the highway at 55 mph. It's kindling now, and the KJ didn't get a scratch.

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do not want to take KB0NLY's word for it, contact your local FCC Field Office. That amp on 11 meters makes you stick out like a sore thumb, and by the way crank up your "power mike" while your at it. If you want to run more power and have a flock of frequencies available, get a Ham license and go for it. These days with no Morse Code requirement, it is a piece of cake if you are interested. Sorry about running off topic in the ditch.
" Hams do it with more frequency!" 73 from AL7FI

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you do not want to take KB0NLY's word for it, contact your local FCC Field Office. That amp on 11 meters makes you stick out like a sore thumb, and by the way crank up your "power mike" while your at it. If you want to run more power and have a flock of frequencies available, get a Ham license and go for it. These days with no Morse Code requirement, it is a piece of cake if you are interested. Sorry about running off topic in the ditch.
" Hams do it with more frequency!" 73 from AL7FI

you all are way too serious on this crap

so much more to worry about in the world than this

jeez!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have had CB and ham for over 30 years now, but yet CBers are rednecks

you are so darn funny bet I am going to laugh all day on that one! I much prefer CBs to Ham due to a lot of Ham operators being too uptight and thinking their shit don't stink:D:D:D

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had CB and ham for over 30 years now, but yet CBers are rednecks

you are so darn funny bet I am going to laugh all day on that one! I much prefer CBs to Ham due to a lot of Ham operators being too uptight and thinking their shit don't stink:D:D:D

Hmm, guess i don't have that problem here. Though i have heard how the ham band can be pretty rude in places. Around here we all get along like peas in a pod.

Here CB is just full of teenagers and whackers, hardly a trucker on there anymore. I used to be into CB back in the 80's, and when we were at the height of the solar cycle you could talk hundreds of miles on a daily basis, thats when it was fun. Now days you just get the peckerwood a block over pretending to be a hot shot.

On a related note.... Most of the truckers and people who want personal radios around here are using MURS now.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
4W is the max legal power... 4W!! So how can you say if you run an amp and dont go over the limit?? Your going to go over the limit regardless if you run an amp... By the way, even if the amp was type accepted by the FCC in the first place, fat chance of that by the way, its still not legal to run over 4W of output power.

Oh and its not the guys being stupid that got them caught.... Its the fact that high power on a poorly filtered exciter and amplifier gets into stuff more than you know. If someone actually built a good clean amp and radio to run it you probably wouldn't ever get caught provided you stay on frequency. We also had a few of them illegal freebanders moving into the 10m Ham Band.. Yeah your not going to last long there as we tend to self police the bands.

With the right conditions 4W can work skip pretty good, i run 5W on the HF Ham Bands all the time with great success. Its all in the conditions and antenna.

But anyway.... Tired of the misconceptions that its legal to run that crap.

well a stock cb will pull 5w by itself so.....

MickityMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a city boy, so I just use a cell phone.

Hey, hoosiers, can your CB's receive boob shots? Yeah, didn't think so. :D

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well a stock cb will pull 5w by itself so.....

Then it isn't stock.. or get a better wattmeter as most of the cb stuff is barely accurate by plus or minus 20%...

I can link you to all the documents on the FCC website but its a lot of reading and a lot of terms, like ERP and antenna gain figures. But the bone stock radio isn't supposed to be more than 4w of output power if checked with a proper 50 ohm dummy load and an accurate wattmeter. I prefer a Bird 43 myself as its the industry standard.

Not to mention the fact that someone could have given it a peak and tune to put it over 4w. The rf transistors used in most CB's are capable of more, but they turn down the output to stay within compliance, all a peak and tune is adjusting the radio to get the max out with the transistor in use, or even replacing it. Most commonly tuners will pull the stock transistor and toss in a Toshiba 12w transistor.

Trust me i know a lot about it, cause i have converted a few CB's to legal 10m ham band use. Generally going to about 25w by rebuilding the PA section.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
For what it's worth...
Back when I was looking at buying a new KJ back in 2000-2004, I've never seen any lettering on an Over Drive button.

Mine doesn't have the lettering, I rarely turn OD off. Maybe the previous owner...:confused:

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't have the lettering, I rarely turn OD off. Maybe the previous owner...:confused:

I don't tend to wear the lettering off of anything. The lettering on the keys of the 2 year old keyboard I'm typing on right now all look brand new. Even the keys used for gaming. That picture of my OD button is 5 years old, but the button still looks the same. In fact, all of the lettering on the controls looks new. Of course, all the exterior emblem's finishes looked terrible pretty quickly so the KJ had to be debadged.

Something related that I've observed through the years in IT is that women's keyboard letting typically wears much faster than men's. It seems that the lotions and longer fingernails, and cleaning it with chemicals more often does the trick.