Tell me what ya think.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
yeah i've seen a pic of what it looked like going through that boot and it just didn't look right to cut that. idk i've drilled a lot of holes and all but cutting that boot and running wires through a mechanically moving area wasn't what I wanted to do. I would say find the whole in the firewall. and go through there. I would run mine through there but it would be a good hours work re running all of my wires. just don't have the time right now.

k ill find a hole that i can go through and try to reseal so that dirt and water cant get through.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
k ill find a hole that i can go through and try to reseal so that dirt and water cant get through.

yeah its not so big that it will be hard to seal. once you get some wires through it just throw some silicone around it and it should do fine.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
yeah its not so big that it will be hard to seal. once you get some wires through it just throw some silicone around it and it should do fine.

k now what gauge wire do you think i should use?

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
k now what gauge wire do you think i should use?

I have 12 or 14 I cant remember but thats major overkill. I just had extra so I figured why go buy more. umm. lets see. They are prolly 55w lights? so i'd say some 16 or even 18 with that relay in there would be fine but I'm not the expert on choosing wire. You just gotta make sure that it handles more amps than your gonna be pulling. kbonly and boiler will prolly chime in tomorrow and shine some more light. Those two helped me wire my stuff the first time I messed up and almost had to claim fire insurance.. they know the math of wattage and how many amps it pulls.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
I have 12 or 14 I cant remember but thats major overkill. I just had extra so I figured why go buy more. umm. lets see. They are prolly 55w lights? so i'd say some 16 or even 18 with that relay in there would be fine but I'm not the expert on choosing wire. You just gotta make sure that it handles more amps than your gonna be pulling. kbonly and boiler will prolly chime in tomorrow and shine some more light. Those two helped me wire my stuff the first time I messed up and almost had to claim fire insurance.. they know the math of wattage and how many amps it pulls.

k but no they are 130w and about how many feet will i need if you know?

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
k but no they are 130w and about how many feet will i need if you know?

Couldnt tell ya exactly. i did it a while ago.. just go to autozone and get the little packages of it. one black one red or white. and then whatever extra you have will be there for whatever reason in the future. good to have some spare wire laying around.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Couldnt tell ya exactly. i did it a while ago.. just go to autozone and get the little packages of it. one black one red or white. and then whatever extra you have will be there for whatever reason in the future. good to have some spare wire laying around.

k well do you have a crew that go wheeling and would let a 2wd tag alone?

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm way down in South Florida. But getting a locker and some tires is about all you can do to up your capability. Unless you got crazy and pieced together a 4wd conversion. And I'm sure there is a local club up there with some meet and greets and what not.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Well I'm way down in South Florida. But getting a locker and some tires is about all you can do to up your capability. Unless you got crazy and pieced together a 4wd conversion. And I'm sure there is a local club up there with some meet and greets and what not.
ya well all i do is a little mud roads and hunting nothing big but i would love if it was 4wd but i think im going to put a bfg a/t

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a relay underhood near the front since those lights are 130w, eliminate the extra cable run.. Then use a switch inside to turn on the relay, no worries about the low current relay control wire length...

As for CB... You have an illegal CB Amp?? Did i read that right?? (blarg)

Can i put in a bid on your KJ when you have to sell it for the fines to the FCC??

Don't say "The FCC doesn't do anything" Two illegal CB'ers shutdown here in two months, 10k in fines each, and some jail time.

jhblackwell

Reaction score
Here's a picture of that plug being used to run my cb wires. Very handy.
You must be registered for see images attach

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got my brush guard today and it only took 2 hours to install it with the help of my dad. so tell me what ya think....i got a 03 liberty freedom edition. I got a b4 and after pic.

you asked what I think so here it is
insted of installing functional tow hooks you installed a brush guard that will do more damage to your Jeep should you get in a minor fender bender

Just what I think

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
you asked what I think so here it is
insted of installing functional tow hooks you installed a brush guard that will do more damage to your Jeep should you get in a minor fender bender

Just what I think

well i dont need tow hooks

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Put a relay underhood near the front since those lights are 130w, eliminate the extra cable run.. Then use a switch inside to turn on the relay, no worries about the low current relay control wire length...

As for CB... You have an illegal CB Amp?? Did i read that right?? (blarg)

Can i put in a bid on your KJ when you have to sell it for the fines to the FCC??

Don't say "The FCC doesn't do anything" Two illegal CB'ers shutdown here in two months, 10k in fines each, and some jail time.

and as far as the cb now you can run an amp if its under the limit. but they really dont care anymore bc an amp use to make the cb bleed over and the stuff these days are so high tech so the cb cant bleed over. but i didnt run it i got it from my dad and just put it in me other truck..

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
and as far as the cb now you can run an amp if its under the limit. but they really dont care anymore bc an amp use to make the cb bleed over and the stuff these days are so high tech so the cb cant bleed over. but i didnt run it i got it from my dad and just put it in me other truck..

Your right they don't really care linears don't hurt anything if you use them right and not sitting in someones drive way blasting away. I bought my first one in 1972 ( tube type) and been using them off and on ever since. If someone got a 10,000 dollar fine it was due to their stupidity!

MORE POWER

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Your right they don't really care linears don't hurt anything if you use them right and not sitting in someones drive way blasting away. I bought my first one in 1972 ( tube type) and been using them off and on ever since. If someone got a 10,000 dollar fine it was due to their stupidity!

MORE POWER
yupp aint i think mine might do 100 miles if even that far.i think mine will do like 50miles which isnt alot but i dont run it.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4W is the max legal power... 4W!! So how can you say if you run an amp and dont go over the limit?? Your going to go over the limit regardless if you run an amp... By the way, even if the amp was type accepted by the FCC in the first place, fat chance of that by the way, its still not legal to run over 4W of output power.

Oh and its not the guys being stupid that got them caught.... Its the fact that high power on a poorly filtered exciter and amplifier gets into stuff more than you know. If someone actually built a good clean amp and radio to run it you probably wouldn't ever get caught provided you stay on frequency. We also had a few of them illegal freebanders moving into the 10m Ham Band.. Yeah your not going to last long there as we tend to self police the bands.

With the right conditions 4W can work skip pretty good, i run 5W on the HF Ham Bands all the time with great success. Its all in the conditions and antenna.

But anyway.... Tired of the misconceptions that its legal to run that crap.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.