Tailgate/window actuator & rear wipes do not work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not getting any response from the liftgate/window actuator. The lock is not seating itself whenthe window is closed and it keeps popping open, also the rear wipers don't work. I hoping its something simple to fix since a new actuator cost over $100.

I read somewhere that when the window is opened, That I should use the keyless entry to close & open the window. Unfortunately, I'm not getting any movement from the actuator, when I use the keyless entry.

What color wires do I check to see if the actuator is getting power or does anyone know what fuse controls it.

Any ideals???????

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not getting any response from the liftgate/window actuator. The lock is not seating itself whenthe window is closed and it keeps popping open, also the rear wipers don't work. I hoping its something simple to fix since a new actuator cost over $100.

I read somewhere that when the window is opened, That I should use the keyless entry to close & open the window. Unfortunately, I'm not getting any movement from the actuator, when I use the keyless entry.

What color wires do I check to see if the actuator is getting power or does anyone know what fuse controls it.

Any ideals???????

The rear wipers will not work if the circuitry is not happy that the glass is closed so it is the same problem.

The flip-up glass actuator motor and the tailgate flip up ajar switch each have a black wire which join together and go to ground....first make sure the ground is actually there.

The Yellow/White wire on the flip up ajar switch should carry that ground up into the BCM, pin 9 on connector C1 if the switch is working...try jumper the switch out or measure it with an Ohm-meter.

The Orange/Brown wire on the actuator motor comes from the BCM pin 26 on connector C1...will be a positive voltage...not sure if it is 12 volts...this is supposed to activate the actuator motor.

There is also a flip up glass release switch with Violet/Brown wire picking up ground from the BCM on pin 2 connector C2 while the other side of this switch
Orange/Pink goes to the BCM pin 17 connector C1....check this switch is working.:shrug:

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue a few months ago. i pulled the cover (not the little access panel but the entire thing) off the tailgate and Reseated all the connections to everything in the Tailgate and that did the trick.

I know it sounds too easy.. but sometimes the simple things fix big problems.

Last edited:

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the push button that is on the handle of the rear door. has two wires and looks like this.
3159-rear-hatch-glass-switch-handle-corroded-internally-kept-shorting.jpg

mine shorted and kept poping the rear glass randomly. disconnect it and see if your problems disapear. then order a new one from the dealer for 16 bucks if its your problem.

You will have to remove the whole pannel to get at it.

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The panel is already removed. With the glass in the closed position, I'm still not getting action form the key fob. To open the glass, all I have to do is lean on it from the inside and it pops open. I need to track down a picture of the BCM to figure if a fuse is blown. Dose anyone know what fuse# it maybe. Also, if it matters, the rear interior light looks dim????? Any relation, maybe ground??

Cardhu-I'll check it out when I get to the vehicle.

Thanks to all!!

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you test if you have power at the windows lock with a multimeter? analog multimeter would be the best since it's only a pulse that unlock the window.

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Volt Meter but what wires should I be checking.
I also need the reference sheet that shows me what fuse goes to what.
Does anyone have one?

I am not getting any power to the Actuator and the lock is stuck in the open position. I've tried to force the lock into a close position but the window keeps popping open.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Volt Meter but what wires should I be checking.
I also need the reference sheet that shows me what fuse goes to what.
Does anyone have one?

I am not getting any power to the Actuator and the lock is stuck in the open position. I've tried to force the lock into a close position but the window keeps popping open.

If you read my post again you will see which wires to measure.

I have the complete circuit diagrams but there is not a single diagram anywhere that will show you the insides of the BCM....it is always shown as a "box" with voltages and signals coming into it and voltages and signals coming out of it...no fuses in the BCM only fuses supplying current to the BCM but impossible to say which fuse does what so it is best to check all fuses.

I will try upload the releavant circuit diagram to Photo Bucket but have been having problems there lately.

You can download the complete 2003 KJ Service Manual here...tells you everything about the Jeep and has all the circuit diagrams....is about 63 Mb in total!:icon_smile:

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My latch is torn from my rear glass so that it will move up and pop open if I push it from the inside, but the latch on the door still thinks its closed. I would check that too and make sure the latch on the door rotates properly when you shut it.

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Billwill- I'll have a look at it today.

trent.brown- Today I have few hours to really look at things, I'll see if I can reset things first before getting into it.

Thanks All!!!!!!

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried messing with it to see if something simple could be fixed machanically. NO LUCK.

I then took the right and left wires off and connected a test light to grond. I probed each contact then I hit the key fob to see if there was a pulse of light. There was none on all wires going to the rear hatch actuator.

Does anyone know what fuse number powers this actuator.

Rennagade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the push button that is on the handle of the rear door. has two wires and looks like this.
3159-rear-hatch-glass-switch-handle-corroded-internally-kept-shorting.jpg

mine shorted and kept poping the rear glass randomly. disconnect it and see if your problems disapear. then order a new one from the dealer for 16 bucks if its your problem.

You will have to remove the whole pannel to get at it.

I have the OPPOSITE problem. My keyfob works but my rear door handle actuator does NOT pop the glass. It only opens the door. I wonder if MY issue is THIS switch in the photo. Anybody know?

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried using the Ohm meter with No luck. I wonder if I'm probing the right thing or using it properly.

Anyway, Billwill, I have NO ideal what your trying to say to me with all those numbers. Do they coincide with the fuse box numbers. The color wires you mention aren't on my jeep. Each plug-in (2 of them) on the actuator has 1 black wire each. I trace the wires and all wires go into a bundle that disapears in the 1/4 panel.

I still can't find the exact fuse that powers the window/hatch release with the key fob. When I do close the window and manually lock it, the window does release when I pull on the tailgate handle. I don't hear any electrical clicking but it does swing up.

Heres a picture of mine.
You must be registered for see images

ANY HELP!!!!! PLEASE...............................................................!

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the OPPOSITE problem. My keyfob works but my rear door handle actuator does NOT pop the glass. It only opens the door. I wonder if MY issue is THIS switch in the photo. Anybody know?

yes that is kind of what was wrong with mine. your describing a open circuit with your switch. It should be open when you want the glass shut.

Mine was intermittantly closing the path through the switch causing it to randomly open or cycle the solenoid. like i was pulling on the handle

take the switch in your hand and depress it. if it works as advertised it wasn't making contact at the handle. If there is no change from unplugging it, go to your local dealer and order that switch. Sorry no part number.

If you have a DMM (digital multi meter, or analog, it really doesn't matter), put it across the connector to measure resistance [ohms]. open when not pressed. low (sub 10 ohms or practically zero) when pressed.

Last edited:

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've tried to manipulate the switch by hand, still same problem. I'm afraid if I buy a new switch that I'll have the same problem. I think I'm not getting power to it. I still haven't found what fuse works it.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Is this of any use to you John?

In the fuse panel on the drivers side:
Cavity #6 {20 amp-Yellow} BCM/Power door Locks (Which also unlocks the tailgate/glass.)
Cavity #17 {15 amp-Blue} Rear Wiper.
Cavity #22 {10 amp-Red} Wiper switch/Front & Rear Washer.

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuse use # 17 & 22 are good, I didn't look at #6, thinking that my pwr doors still operate, so the fuse must be good.

Rennagade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just looked into this and you are right. My switch is bad. There is evidence of corrosion on the switch. I jumped out the switch and the flipper glass pops open. I now have to find a part number and order this switch. Thanks for your help.