T-case swap for 2.4 manual good idea?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have toyed with the idea for more than a year now.
I have a '05 2.4Lit 6 speed manual NSG370 4.10 and a Command Trac T-case (should be NP231 will check). Thinking about swapping the t-case out with the NV242 in order to benefit from the 4FullTime.

I did some reading on the subject
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32339
http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2...+command&sid=954c28bc7fdb5b30f6d110c86857ba08

Can I reprogram the BCM to understand that it now has a different t-case or is this not possible?
I don't mind the indicator light, but think that if the BCM believes it has adifferect t-case it will act acordingly.

I quote tjkoen01 from LOST who did a swap
"I now believe the BCM has to be told it now has a 242. Looking at the plunger diagrams, they have the same graduations and resistances for each position, however on the 231, two of those positions are labeled as neutral vs only one position (the first neutral is now full time) on the 242"

So does this mean that the Jeep thinks it's in neutral while travelling in 4FT? Can this cause any harm?

I'm also not so sure if the NSG370 and the NV242 will get along with out creating a disaster.
Has any body tried this? Any comments?

Besides for swapping out the tcase, how much other work would be involved? Do also I need to change shafts?

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will have some major driveability issue with that 242 in full time 4wd and your manual trans and is why the 242 was never offered in a manual trans vehicle.As long as you never use the full time option you'd be okay and then it would be a waste of time and money.

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tj!
Is there any other t-case that I can combine with manual transmision so as to have full time 4wd?

Latest posts

Members online