Suspension tool kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A question for the members who have experience with installing lifts or swapping suspension components.

Give me a list of tools that are needed/useful for lift projects. I'm looking at items that would not be included in a basic tool chest such as large sockets, etc. Any special tools or tricks would be appreciated also.

Thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not to be a smart a** but the first lift on a KJ I did I just looked underneath and saw what sizes I needed. If you have a good set of sockets etc then you should have everything needed, except for maybe rachet straps and if you are doing a normal lift you don't need them
right angle drill for the rear bumpstops helps as well
Many great writeups have been done, check LOST as well

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sockets, breakerbar, big hammer, ratchet strap, spring compressor, jack and jack stand, pretty much. let me know if you need a hand lifting yours ive done mine a million times

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to be a smart a** but the first lift on a KJ I did I just looked underneath and saw what sizes I needed. If you have a good set of sockets etc then you should have everything needed, except for maybe rachet straps and if you are doing a normal lift you don't need them
right angle drill for the rear bumpstops helps as well
Many great writeups have been done, check LOST as well

Really? Could you have just answered the guy's question w/o belittling someone for asking a question? That is definitely my biggest peeve with this site. I've seen more comments by "backyard pro's" with a hard-on to put someone down on this site than I've seen on the entire internet in my life.

The guy wanted to know if you needed something BESIDES a good tool kit. Which IMO, the phrase "good tool kit" is all relative. I have a good set of tools, but I'm sure it's no where near as good as someone else's.

Back to the original question....besides a decent set of tools, I think a breaker bar is a decent thing to have, if you don't already own one. As stated, jack and jack stands are a necessity. I believe I used a pickle fork to pop the lower ball-joint loose from the lower control arm and spindle. If you don't have a hand sledge, those come in handy for beating rusted parts apart. And you'll definitely need to either rent/buy a spring compressor, or take the parts to a shop to have them assembled.

And speaking from experience...a right angle drill would definitely be nice if you plan to drill the base plate to add a rear bumpstop, and a hardened carbide tipped bit. You can use a standard drill, but it makes it a lot harder.

Have fun and good luck!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OSU

back yard pro ? :happy175::happy175::happy175:
There is a ton of info if people would just search all I was saying
when you catch up to this old "back yard pro" let me know and we'll have a race to see who can do a lift faster
:happy175::Bye:
trouble with todays internet everyone wants it right in front of them without even pusing a button, why should everyone keep posting the same info over and over ten times a day? I mean really

OH and this is really useful
DO NOT USE A PICKLE FORK LIKE MENTIONED ABOVE, BAD IDEA PLUS YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE LOWER BALL JOINT SO MORE BAD INFO
PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN POSTING

Last edited:

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
as i recall 16 17 18 19 21 mm. i suggest you have a LARGE(long) 21mm wrench ( i did my lift with an impact and wound up switching to the wrench for the ball joint nuts. )

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OSU

back yard pro ? :happy175::happy175::happy175:
There is a ton of info if people would just search all I was saying
when you catch up to this old "back yard pro" let me know and we'll have a race to see who can do a lift faster
:happy175::Bye:
trouble with todays internet everyone wants it right in front of them without even pusing a button, why should everyone keep posting the same info over and over ten times a day? I mean really

OH and this is really useful
DO NOT USE A PICKLE FORK LIKE MENTIONED ABOVE, BAD IDEA PLUS YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE LOWER BALL JOINT SO MORE BAD INFO
PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN POSTING

Yes, I know a pickle fork isn't the most optimal tool to use....but when it's what you have...it works. And the tool itself is incredibly useful to have in your collection for a variety of jobs. The only reason you're not "supposed" to use it is you can tear the boot...but if you're careful it's not likely to happen. And I'm not in the position of some people where I charge outlandish prices to do work so I can buy a tool that has one single purpose.

And like I said....you couldn't just answer the question could you? Hope you feel better about yourself. Sorry I wasn't there when you wrote the book on how to have a perfect life. Whatevs. :icon_rolleyes:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never ever use a pickle fork unless you are replacing the tie rod end or ball joint as the pickle fork will damage the joint and boot.

No need for one anyways as a 3lbs mini-sledge makes short work of unloading the tie rod ends and UBJ's.

dalton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? Could you have just answered the guy's question w/o belittling someone for asking a question? That is definitely my biggest peeve with this site. I've seen more comments by "backyard pro's" with a hard-on to put someone down on this site than I've seen on the entire internet in my life.

Not to jump into yalls argument, but have you ever been on Pirate 4x4? Cause compared to the flaming and belittling that goes on there, Tommudd just gave the OP an online hug and an answer to his question. This site is the most tame 4x4 site I'm a member of when it comes to dealing with questions. Most other places the common response is "Theres a search button up there^^, figure it out."

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
How about we just give the OP in these threads a useful answer, or a link in which he can find it himself. If that can't be done, it may be best to say NOTHING instead.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, the long winter must have everyone a little grumpy.Kick.gif

Tom's post is not a problem. Heck, I grew up with 4 older brothers, a little ribbing means nothing; no offense taken, no worries.
I did crawl around the underbelly of the KJ and get a few of the sizes that I could get at. Again, I have an unheated garage and it hasn't been above 15 degrees here for more than a week.

I did try the "search function" but didn't have very much luck finding a list. I thought it would be a good idea to have a list, and consolidate the info in one thread. Maybe even make a sticky for me and other future members to use to flesh out their tool chest.

So, back on topic, I need to pick up some larger socket sizes, (up 21mm?)
A breaker bar. The right angle drill suggestion is just the thing I was looking for. Items that make the job easier and "out of the ordinary" tools that are needed.

Thanks guys, keep em' coming

Last edited:

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air tools?

Don't think anyone mentioned but my #1 fave in the garage is a good compressor and complete set of air tools. Good for making a lot of the work go faster and without the bloody knuckles wrenching or forcing breakers. (Sometimes cheaper to get extra air tools than AC or rechargable too - I think I paid $20 for my 3/8 angle air drill)

Once you get air tools you wonder how the heck you did without them... that and the wife actually starts buying you tools - but usually with strings attached (flooring nailer = new oak floors, brad nailer = new crown mouldings) heheh.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shit ill assemeble and install your entire lift for $100! Just drop it off at my house with cahs and parts and come back in a couple hours and ill have you all good to go!....im dead serious

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
overall the install is really easy. when i did mine the hardest part was finding someoen to assemble the new struts.

i spent 30 to have that done.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with JeepINGeek! Let the shop do it - best 40$ I spent.

Also, I did mine without even popping a tie rod end or ball joint. Two bolts, drop the clevis, then remove the strut. It took a litle more wiggling to get the parts in/out.

Floor jack, jack stand, Metric socket set up to 21mm. Torque Wrench. If you don't own a breaker bar, a carefully selected section of pipe can sure come in handy....

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I beleive that the upper ball joint nut was a 24mm. Could be wrong though, haven't had stock upper ball joint or UCA for a few years now.

A long tapered punch, or alignment tool works well to center the clevis over the bushing before putting the bolt back through. Other suspension tools might include a 36mm axle nut socket so that the knuckle can be removed to replace the LBJ.

My 2c.

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spring compressors, install techniques

I'm with JeepINGeek! Let the shop do it - best 40$ I spent.

Also, I did mine without even popping a tie rod end or ball joint. Two bolts, drop the clevis, then remove the strut. It took a litle more wiggling to get the parts in/out.

Floor jack, jack stand, Metric socket set up to 21mm. Torque Wrench. If you don't own a breaker bar, a carefully selected section of pipe can sure come in handy....

Going to install soon when I get the rest of my lift parts - is the concensus here it's better to get the strut assembly into a press instead of using the DIY external spring compressors?

Different people also seem to disassemble more or less in installation - or not at all except clevis like Krusty? Reading various posts, and other manufacturer lift kit instructions nobody does the same thing - best to be under there wheels off to know for sure I guess. Would the easiest for more room to work the new strut up be to disconnect the sway bar link at a minimum and then just dead-blow the knuckle to dislodge the UCA ball joint only if you need the wiggle room?

Ratchet straps are on sale this week will have to get a decent pair perhaps - hey LibertyTC - there are CAMO ones on at PrincessAuto ... :gr_grin:

Hey Canucks...

http://www.buytools.ca/index.php/coil-spring-compressor-longer-type.html

VS.

http://www.buytools.ca/index.php/strut-coil-spring-compressor.html

Would actually like to have these tools to help other yokels... but wonder if it's worth the $ or garage space. (Or just donate them to Tom if it eats up the wife's corner of the garage - he seems to put a lot of struts in!) :whip:

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take my suspension apart alot and try different things or whatnot so i bought all the tools to do it myself and help others out

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally warmed up enough to spend some time in the garage today. Pulled a front wheel off and crawled around in the wheel well. Then did the same in the rear.

Didn't see a reason to pop the ball joints, seems just the strut assembly needs to be removed at the clevis. Rear seemed pretty straight forward

I just have to decide if I wanna go with the OME/Bilstein (~$700) or do a wesway lift using CRD coils (~$525, and save money for skids).

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OME or nothing else, i dont think you will be happy with the wesway lift and crd springs. you might be able to sneak the strut out without the upper balljoint attached, i cant remember, but have fun trying to get the lifted strut back in there without detaching the upper control arm ball joint. I also detach the steering tie rod, dont know if it necessary but its how i do it, but i leave the lower balljoint alone.

Last edited: