Stupid Question - Manual Hubs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may or may not be a stupid question, but is there, by any chance, a manufacture of locking or manual hubs that can be installed on a KJ?

I realize what I'm asking and it's not do-able with what comes stock on a KJ, but I was wondering if there was some company out there that may have come up with something aftermarket.

It just seems to me that in this day and age with the price of gas what it is, it would be great if there was a way to disengage the front running gear. Lets face it. Most people use their four wheel drive a small percentage of the time. It would be nice because it would save wear and tear on the front running gear, increase performance by reducing parasitic loss, and improve fuel ecomony.

I think manufactures should look at going back to manual hubs or some way of disconnecting the front driveline.

What are everyone elses thought?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No manual locking hubs for the KJ,probally never will be since WARN passed on it long time ago.The only way is to go SFA:D!

I like manual locking hubs but "always locked" hubs like the KJ's is the best and strongest.You will not really gain any MPG's from unlocking the front hubs in a KJ.I have been running without a front diff,CV shafts,and front driveshaft and I have not gained any mpg's,none,zilch.Not even from the fact I have about 450lbs of weight missing from my KJ(diff,mounts,CV's,DS,and all skids besides the gas tank skid).

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm shocked that you haven't saved something in MPG's. If nothing else, it would be less wear and tear on the front shafts and diff. The front driveline must be pretty darn efficient. Perhaps that's why everything seems to be 'locked' these days.

I know my old full-time four wheel drive Chevy K-10 used to suck the gas down compared to my brother's part-time k-20. It has accelerated front tire wear too. That was common for the old trucks.

My thoughts on manual locking hubs have always been....if there's the remote chance I might need my four wheel drive then I'll lock them in.

I can see the pro's and con's to both, but I personally prefer manual hubs.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, nothing you can do for the KJ. But I have got used to them.

That said I miss the old manual locking hubs. If I was going to use 4wd I would lock em up first thing in the am before I left the driveway. Then I had "shift on the fly" whenever I wanted. Then when I was done and got back home I just unlocked them......so much for the old days. You just had to know how to use them.

Dave

jeepboy3089

Reaction score
manual locking hubs

well i have a full posi rear end because i rebuilt it full posi but yet the front axle i baught the arb lockers not true locked i need manual locking on my liberty only way to get full posi front end considering where i drive all the time is bout 2 ft of mud having to get pulled out when ever it rains just baught a jba 4 in lift and waiting for fiance to have our baby before lifting it but yet when i lift it i NEED TRUE LOCKERS and it not impossible to have them on ids bc my wrangler has ids and i got lockers on that but yet they wont fit on the liberty for some reason

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i have a full posi rear end because i rebuilt it full posi but yet the front axle i baught the arb lockers not true locked i need manual locking on my liberty only way to get full posi front end considering where i drive all the time is bout 2 ft of mud having to get pulled out when ever it rains just baught a jba 4 in lift and waiting for fiance to have our baby before lifting it but yet when i lift it i NEED TRUE LOCKERS and it not impossible to have them on ids bc my wrangler has ids and i got lockers on that but yet they wont fit on the liberty for some reason
Posi is not a locker,it's a LSD.You need to buy a D30 and 8.25 lockers.The only one that really works with the KJ's front D30A is the ARB locker and either the Detroit locker(full case) or ARB for the 8.25 is your best bet.Then you will be 100% locked front and rear,if using ARB's no need for manual hubs as they only lock when you hit the swithc otherwise they are regular open diffs for normal street driving.

To get manual hubs you will need to SFA it and that get's to be big $$$ and alot of time.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Translation please?? :shrug:

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score

...................,,,,,,,,,!!!?? Here you go Chris - You forgot to put these in. :happy175:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score

Um, wat?

Oh, and screw manual hubs. Talk about something I have zero time or patience for...

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No manual locking hubs for the KJ,probally never will be since WARN passed on it long time ago.The only way is to go SFA:D!

I like manual locking hubs but "always locked" hubs like the KJ's is the best and strongest.You will not really gain any MPG's from unlocking the front hubs in a KJ.I have been running without a front diff,CV shafts,and front driveshaft and I have not gained any mpg's,none,zilch.Not even from the fact I have about 450lbs of weight missing from my KJ(diff,mounts,CV's,DS,and all skids besides the gas tank skid).

Hey Troy, Your'e a poet and you don't even know it! :happy175:

cprat76

Reaction score

Longest sentence.... ever...

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Longest sentence.... ever...

Might be just an excerpt from the longest sentence ever. Note that the author neglected the capital W at the comencement of and a full stop at the end of this thought.