Steel Dana 30 for the KJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly the point... if you don't drop the cradle, you're stuck with 32'' b/c there is no room for 33''s unless you lift over 4'' and again, you have to shave the CV shafts...

How much money is involved in the complete process? might be a SFA a wiser choice?

Cheers :)

A cradle drop saves your CV angles so no shaving the housing.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
That's exactly the point... if you don't drop the cradle, you're stuck with 32'' b/c there is no room for 33''s unless you lift over 4'' and again, you have to shave the CV shafts...

How much money is involved in the complete process? might be a SFA a wiser choice?

Cheers :)

well I sat down last night and ran several different ways of what I would do if I was going this way
with the diff, gears, lockers, 6 inch lift, cut CVs, taller tires odds and ends I was well over 7500 and thats with cheap labor ( Me!!)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
well I sat down last night and ran several different ways of what I would do if I was going this way
with the diff, gears, lockers, 6 inch lift, cut CVs, taller tires odds and ends I was well over 7500 and thats with cheap labor ( Me!!)

With those numbers you may as well just SFA it and be done.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A cradle drop saves your CV angles so no shaving the housing.
But then you introduce a host of other issues.You must drop the t-case/trans mount the same amount,then you have to deal with extending stuff(hoses and/or wiring).To much cradle drop then you will run into the steering shaft issue,IE being to short,and your R&P gear will be hard pressed turning 33"+ tires so expect changing it often when the seals blow and inner tie rod ends bend(non-replaceable on '06+ KJ's).If you have HD cooling might as well kiss the mechanical fan goodbye.And the final issue is no you will run into front driveshaft angle problems as the OEM front driveshaft is not ment for for any more angle then it already is at and it will be to short.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
But besides all of the above, its a cake walk :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

For me, its run what I got until I get tired of it, then either go way big with SFA or just let my step son have it !

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got bit hard by the off-road bug when I went wheeling with some of the dudes around here (The Cold Lake Area Wheelers, CLAW). A steel D30 might be nice but lotsa $$$. I can pick up a used XJ 4x4 for about $1500, a nice one will run $3000. With that I can lift, beat on and enjoy for a lot less than lifting my KJ and still driving it everyday.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie wheels and beats his KJ and drives it daily, why can't everybody else? :p

TBJ, my KJ is lifted, man tired and gets beat on regularly. I'd just like something I can wheel through the muskeg fields and not cry when it sinks in 6 feet of swampy crap. Alot of the guys around here run full size Blazers, early Broncos and Toyota's with big V8s and 44+ inch mudders. I can't keep up in my KJ. I have to go around some of the really fun parts of the trails. Being the kid with the too nice to potentialy wreck Jeep *****. I'd rather have a rig I can trash and laugh about than my still way too expensive, albeit paid for, KJ that I have to drive day to day.

I saw the stick-out-tongue bit. I know you're being a wee bit sarcastic, but dude, a 4x4 XJ for $1500 is too good to not beat like a redheaded step child.:D

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TBJ, my KJ is lifted, man tired and gets beat on regularly. I'd just like something I can wheel through the muskeg fields and not cry when it sinks in 6 feet of swampy crap. Alot of the guys around here run full size Blazers, early Broncos and Toyota's with big V8s and 44+ inch mudders. I can't keep up in my KJ. I have to go around some of the really fun parts of the trails. Being the kid with the too nice to potentialy wreck Jeep *****. I'd rather have a rig I can trash and laugh about than my still way too expensive, albeit paid for, KJ that I have to drive day to day.

I saw the stick-out-tongue bit. I know you're being a wee bit sarcastic, but dude, a 4x4 XJ for $1500 is too good to not beat like a redheaded step child.:D
Mine has the snot beaten out of it also and is my DD,has been since Feb 28th 2002.Lifted 3.75" in april of '04 with 32" tires(ended up at 5500lbs before the SFA) and stayed that way till I SFA'd it.Still my DD even after the SFA swap,waiting on the snow to melt some more to wheel it again.Never had a issue with the D30A(had DTT in it),blew apart a outer CV joint though but the diff was unharmed and lives still in JL's CRD.That diff was not the OEM diff that came in my KJ,it was bought brand new in april of '04,had the 4.10's already installed and I added the DTT and installed in my KJ.

Latest posts

Members online