65 Corvair's Steel Front Diff Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My parts were machined.
On the left will be used on the driver's side, the right will be for the passenger's side to fit in the axle tube.

You must be registered for see images attach

Now that I have the parts in hand, I can do the finish work on the housing to get the distance between the machined part and the differential carrier bearing correct.

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the prints for bearing/seal collars.
Overall, the collars work pretty good, the driver's side OD is a few thousand's too small, so it ended up being a clearance fit instead of a press fit when installing into the main diff housing.
The bearing and seal sizes work well, I was able to install both with the "right" amount of force.

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cut off another 3/8 of an inch of the driver's side housing, and it is now flush with the main body of the differential.
Given that it was a clearance fit, I did not want to waste the parts I had. I drilled and tapped some 1/4-20 holes that went partially into the collar. Installing some set screws should be enough to hold the collar in place. I would have preferred to have a press fit, but the collar doesn't see too much load, so I doubt it would be an issue. I sealed the collar to the housing with a bead of RTV. The driver's side is now complete.

https://www.permatex.com/products/g...ltra-black-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-3-35-oz/

Next is to tackle the passenger side collar install.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could get it knurled to bring the size up.

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The passenger side collar is installed.
It was too much press fit for the 1/2 inch treaded rod, so I cut a slit in the tube and welded back together after it was pressed in.
The other cuts on the tube are superficial and happened when I cut off the Center Axle Disconnect from the axle.

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My parts arrived and I was able to do a fitup. With my sendcutsend order, I also had some aluminum plates made to act a fixture for welding.
The normal aluminum diff has the passenger side mount perpendicular to the front mounting surface. I tacked up passenger mount at 90 degrees, but it gets pretty close to the starter. (Since I used a high pinion D30 instead of low pinion)
I will cut the welds and clock the diff housing down 3 or 5 degrees and see if that helps get more clearance to the starter.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're in a prime spot to drop/shim the cradle down some. Even just a little could help. I've gone to 3/4".

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, nevermind.... the diff and engine both are bolted to the cradle :rolleyes:

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, nevermind.... the diff and engine both are bolted to the cradle :rolleyes:
Yes, and I also have skid plates that go from the front cradle to the transmission crossmember that I don't want to create a spacer for.

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did end up rotating the passenger side mount 4 degrees to lower the pinion, however it was too low and caused the diff housing to contact the skid plates. Cutting and rewelding to 2 degrees seems to be just right. It gets it away from the starter some and leaves room for skid plate clearance. Using cardboard as a coarse flexible feeler gauge, I can slide 2 sheets between the diff and skid plate, so just a little less than 1/4 inch.

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bit of bad news, using a high pinion will not work (At least for an automatic 42RLE transmission) I installed the driveshaft last week, and it gets too close to the transmission cooler lines for my liking. The high pinion may work for a manual transmission, but I do not have a Liberty with a manual transmission to verify.

However, I was able to find a low pinion dana 30 locally, and I began chopping.

Comparison of pinion location, high pinion on top, low pinion on bottom.

A majority of the excess weight has been removed. :cool:
The dana 30 front plate and passenger side mount are a direct fit from the high pinion to low pinion.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a bummer. I had hoped the hi-pinion could have been used to reduce the half shaft angles. That would take some serious cradle mods I guess.

I recall JBA doing the steel front diff, and settling on the low pinion because of hi-pinion fitment issues.

I briefly looked at using the 8.25", but it seems to be too wide a casting.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you replace the bent pipes on those lines with 90° fittings you will gain a lot of space.

Latest posts

Members online