Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jake R.

Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with my speedometer for quite some time now. It randomly stopped working one day and hasn't worked since. It was in the garage a few weeks ago and they put a new VSS in it but it did not do anything. The car had the P0501 code but it got cleared when they replaced the battery and alternator. Just wondering if anyone knows how to fix this.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year jeep? Some years have a sensor in top of rear diff. It's often the cause, either sensor or wiring to it.

Jake R.

Reaction score
99% of the time on 02-05s it is the wiring
Its an 04 and i took a quick look under the car to see the wiring and its the got one of those protective plastic wiring cover things so i would think from the sensor (on the rear diff) to the body is good but i dont know about the wiring from there

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Its an 04 and i took a quick look under the car to see the wiring and its the got one of those protective plastic wiring cover things so i would think from the sensor (on the rear diff) to the body is good but i dont know about the wiring from there
Do not be fooled in the " it looks ok "
Seen many wiring look good but its broken
almost always broken wires almost right at the body

Jake R.

Reaction score
Do not be fooled in the " it looks ok "
Seen many wiring look good but its broken
almost always broken wires almost right at the body
Alright also this is kind of unrelated but i also have a check engine light on with p0344 code. it is weird because the car wont rev over 2500 rpms and i already replaced the camshaft position sensor so i dont know where to go next with the issue.

Reaction score
Alright also this is kind of unrelated but i also have a check engine light on with p0344 code. it is weird because the car wont rev over 2500 rpms and i already replaced the camshaft position sensor so i dont know where to go next with the issue.

The P0344 can be a number of issues. easiest one is how old is the battery? A weak battery can cause the cam position sensor to crap out (even after you replaced it)

Its also possible that the harness to the sensor is faulty, the whole "Hey it looks good so it must be" applies here. could have a frayed wire or broken wire.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You probably have two separate wiring issues...wires shorting to chassis or to other random wires or wires having an open circuit are common problems lately as these Jeeps get older.

Did you use a Mopar Cam Sensor as your replacement?

The Speedometer on my 2002 Export CRD stopped working when still fairly new. The connector on the Diff Sensor was bad. Once I fixed the bad connection the speedo worked but the CEL light stayed ON for about 2 weeks of running before turning OFF!

You need to physically trace the wires as far as possible but then you have to climb into the wiring diagrams.

You need to fix your P0344 error first as it is obviously going into Limp Mode.:(

Jake R.

Reaction score
You probably have two separate wiring issues...wires shorting to chassis or to other random wires or wires having an open circuit are common problems lately as these Jeeps get older.

Did you use a Mopar Cam Sensor as your replacement?

The Speedometer on my 2002 Export CRD stopped working when still fairly new. The connector on the Diff Sensor was bad. Once I fixed the bad connection the speedo worked but the CEL light stayed ON for about 2 weeks of running before turning OFF!

You need to physically trace the wires as far as possible but then you have to climb into the wiring diagrams.

You need to fix your P0344 error first as it is obviously going into Limp Mode.:(
I replaced the old cam sensor with one from autozone it wasn't the OEM if that would effect it.

Jake R.

Reaction score
I read stuff about it possibly having to do with the timing and stuff like that.