Some tips about installing a gas tank skid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Alright, so I decided that there are some tips to help people install there gas tank skids, especially if they have a hitch.

Tip 1:
A breaker bar with about 12+" of extension and a good, 18mm socket (1/2" drive) to get the hitch bolts loose is the easiest way to do it, with out breaking things. Also give the bolts a few taps with a hammer to loosen the antiseize.
You can get a 1/2" drive breaker bar at Menards for $6. A USA made socket is $4. Worth it.

Tip 2: Remove the passenger side rear wheel. The last bolt there is behind the exhaust, and jacking it up and removing the wheel will allow you to get a breaker bar up there easier, and making it easier to turn the wrench without the wheel to block you.

Tip 3:
When putting the hitch and skid on, put the gas tank skid on first, and hand tighten one bolt per side. Then, put the hitch on, and hand tighten 1 bolt per side. Then take the 2 from the gas tank, and put them through the hitch.

Tip 4: If removing a hitch, and to undo the factory wiring, undo the 4 screws on the plug, and un plug it from there, the "lock" is on the top.

Hope this helps!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tip 2: Remove the passenger side rear wheel. The last bolt there is behind the exhaust, and jacking it up and removing the wheel will allow you to get a breaker bar up there easier, and making it easier to turn the wrench without the wheel to block you.

If you have a fat friend just have them grab the tailpipe and pull it towards the outside of the Jeep,straight shot at that bolt then.

Or do like I did and have no tail pipe so no worries about it being in the way.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for the record....

Some KJs have 18mm bolts. Mine has 17mm ones :favorites68: OK, no big deal, just a bit absurd...
Guess they ran out of 18s that day :happy175:.

Also, don't let if fall on You.... The nose wouldn't be too glad :freak3:.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, don't let it fall...that's a given.

Another obvious thing, put the jack under the hitch receiver.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Did anyone mention to ensure your hitch is installed w/ grade 8 bolts?
One thing about the gas tank skid is that it likes to trap all the dirt and mud.
In the corner where the small cut away are visible right and left side, I ran the hose full blast with warm water and was shocked what came out the back. (yuk)
41960[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• Undercoated.jpg
    Undercoated.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 1

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Grade 10.9 actually, that's what was on it from the factory....

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
HJ you are lucky that you have the factory hitch. Got a shot of the bolts?
Now that I think of it I am going to have to check mine again as it is also factory , but I think it was dealer installed.Somehow I do not think they are 10.9s though hard to tell without the marks.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use the stock jack in between the exhaust and the skid to move it over enough to get the last bolt in. Also did that trick to put the hitch on before i had one.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
HJ you are lucky that you have the factory hitch. Got a shot of the bolts?
Now that I think of it I am going to have to check mine again as it is also factory , but I think it was dealer installed.Somehow I do not think they are 10.9s though hard to tell without the marks.

I can get one if you'd like. It says "10.9" on the head of the bolt...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hitch bolts are metric bolts,and should be grade 10.9 or higher.Grade 8 bolts are SAE bolts but grade 8 and metric grade 10.9 are the same rating.

A grade 8.8 metric bolt(SAE grade 5) will totally fail when a grade 10.9 metric bolt(SAE grade 8) just starts to show signs of deforming.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grade 10.9 actually, that's what was on it from the factory....

Yeah, that was what was on my OEM installed hitch from the factory. Then when I got the OEM skid from the dealer it came with the same graded bolts. I had 12 of them at one point.

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Me to. I put on the ones that came with the skid, same bolt, just I thought having a newer ones can't hurt. Saving the old ones, just in case.

Latest posts

Members online