So, the wife gets the oil changed, and they tell her...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...that the transmission is leaking. WTF?? I've never seen a puddle, and I have yet to crawl under the thing to double check. What gives? Are they blowing smoke because a woman took it in? They also tell her to use 10w30 vs. 5w30. I know I should look in the manual, but is there that much difference? I've used 5w in V8s before with no trouble, why not in my sixer?

Mike

bigfella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they always pull this with my wife. I always try and take the cars in now when they need to go in and if it's just for an oil change I tell them up front only to do the oil and what to use. for some reason these people think when they see a female they can take advantage...

swyszomirski

Reaction score
When my girlfriend and I went to go get her Toyota Prius' oil changed, the guys said we needed a new air filter. I told them "no thanks, the filter was only a month old...." Then they wanted to check all the fluids and the battery. The only problem with that is that the Prius battery is in the trunk, and since it is a highbrid, when they opened the hood, they didn't really know how to react. You can't get to most of the engine components because of how specialized the car is. So they finally grinned, realized they didn't know how to deal with this car, and just changed the oil without any other fussin'.

O, and when we took my girlfriend's minivan into a different place, the guy tried to get us to have him do the ****** fluid because it had metal particles in the fluid.... Well, the metal particles were in his very dirty hand as he wiped the ****** oil into it. I just happened to catch him doing that. So watch out for that trick.

This is why I change my KJ's oil and everything else.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Hah!!! Last oil change for my KJ, at the dealer, I heard them pull this exact same thing on this woman! As I was sitting there... the guy had this "look" on his face, and woman says "Oh no, you found something?" He says "The transmission is leaking." I'm like... how, and the woman not notice, unless she's 100% clueless.

Dealers... :-({|= (whistle)

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they pull that kind of crap at the dealership? It's a bit more expensive to go there for service, but I can't imagine they make any more or less money personally when they pull that stunt...

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my Liberty into a EZ Lube, and the twit, pops the hood looks in and goes why did you get the 4-******. I looked at him, then pointed to the intake tube, and said, because it's the biggest 4-****** they made... :-s
later on another employee tried to get me to change out the K&N panel filter because according to him, "the filter had been stained."

I change my only oil now.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! What interesting stories! I hope my dealer doesn't turn to that. Yeah, I won't ever let my wife take a car in.

For example, with my Honda, I change the oil once a year or at 10k with Mobile 1. I have done very little to it (brakes, rotate tires, that's about it). At 75k it's doing just fine without following all the stupid stuff in the book.

I do care more about the KJ. But still, if I don't like what someone says, there are other dealers to go to for a second opinion.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one I really love is when I took my '98 Dakota in for an oil change, the guy does the classic 'theres a couple of things you need to look at'. One was that the pcv valve needed to be changed, he's even holding this grimy pcv valve in his hand. I ask him 'What freaking vehicle did you pull that out of, cuz the 4cyl Dakotas dont have pcv valves'. What a freaking loser of a mechanic...

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Corwyyn said:
The one I really love is when I took my '98 Dakota in for an oil change, the guy does the classic 'theres a couple of things you need to look at'. One was that the pcv valve needed to be changed, he's even holding this grimy pcv valve in his hand. I ask him 'What freaking vehicle did you pull that out of, cuz the 4cyl Dakotas dont have pcv valves'. What a freaking loser of a mechanic...

Was that at a dealer? Did he turn red in the face? What an SOB.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Corwyyn said:

Was that at a dealer? Did he turn red in the face? What an SOB.

No, it was at one of those fast lube places, and yeah, he got a bit flustered when he realized that his little stunt had backfired chairshot.gif What a frellin' idiot.

cameoex

Reaction score
My fav attempt at selling my g/f a service was done by Jiffy Lube. We took her car in to get an oil change...I ran across the street to 7-11 to get some drinks, when i got back she was laughing at the mechanic. He tried to tell her that she needed an automatic transmission service....too bad she drove a 5 speed. He was very annoyed that she called him out on it.