Couple quick oil change questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For one, what is the correct Mopar Oil Filter for a 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited w/ the 3.7 auto? I've been looking online and haven't found any concrete answers. I would find an answer, look at another website just to find another answer. Couldn't find any sites that agreed on one answer.

Second, the Owner's Manual says 5 quarts for an oil change. Is this the correct amount with an oil change and new filter included? I know they know what they are doing, but just wanted to make sure before buying. Nothing worse than buying what you need, doing the oil change, putting it all back together just to find out you don't have enough oil (another trip back to the store). Have a pretty concrete answer, just wanted to double check.

Lastly, anyone have an oil brand they prefer to run in these engines? Previous owner made a mark showing they were running Pennzoil 5w30 in it. I've always run Castrol in my car and truck with good luck. Just curious if anyone had any pros/cons to specific oils? Or are they all about the same as long as it's 5w30

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I buy 6 quarts in case I need to add a little between changes . I use Motorcraft synthetic blend & NAPA GOLD filters .

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. mopar part # 04781452AA

Dumb question, but is 0478 1452 BB-001 the same filter by chance? Has this number as well as MO-452 on the box. I went to the Jeep Stealership today to pick up the first oil filter, and that's what they sent me home with. Is it the same filter, or do I need to return mine? I figured the dealer would get me set up with the right one the first time, then I could just keep the box to match up to the next one when I was due for the next change. But after reporting back here, I'm thinking that may have been the wrong idea?

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, good, hopefully that's the only difference. I'll take the new filter out of the box and compare to the one that's on it now to see if it looks the same before I proceed with the oil change. Do you happen to know if the "MO-452" is the right filter. That's the only other number on the box (well, aside from a date). I thought maybe if that number was the same it would confirm the other number being the newer version of the old number.

On a side note, how do you like the Yokohamas on the Jeep? That's what I have on my truck - been a big fan of them on it so far. When the Jeep finishes wearing through the tires that are on it, I was considering putting a set on it too.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're fine with the filter. don't worry.

they're okay. they don't wear that well. My edges are rounding already. it is mostly driven on paved road. not a lot of dirt or off road. I wouldn't get them again in the future.
That's just me.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Tried all kinds of different filters & oil in The Jeep.
Keep coming back to this combo.
57821[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Jeep seems to like it !:gr_grin:
The Mobil1 filter case is fairly strong & keeps oil clean for longer duration.
I still change my oil every 3000 miles.

Attachments

• Jeep%20Oil%20and%20Filter%20Change.jpg
    Jeep%20Oil%20and%20Filter%20Change.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 0

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you change your oil, put an absorbent rag underneath the oil filter so you don't spill oil all over. This will stop all but a minimum of oil to spill and wipe out the little oil spill channel so any oil that gets in there that the rag misses won't drip out overnight and make you think you have a leak.......don't ask me how I know. After my first oil change mess I spill very little.

Just a heads-up.

Dave

TruckerKevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am new here, but just another tip that I recommend to everyone who does their own oil change themselves. On ANY vehicle.

I have worked in automotive shops most of my life, and one big problem that arises is "double gasketing". I have seen brand new cars burn up from this. What is double gasketing? It is a situation where the rubber o ring from the oil filter sticks to the block and you don't realize it when you remove the old oil filter.

When you put the new oil filter, you are putting the new o ring on top of the old one, and it's fine,,,,,,, until the car leaves the shop and gets a few miles down the road and the oil filter comes unscrewed, and out goes your oil rapidly.

A simple way to never have this happen to you is, when you remove the old filter just get into the habit of flipping the oil filter over and verify that the rubber o ring is there, not stuck to the block. I have seen many a mechanic lose their jobs over something so simple.

OK I hope I save somebody's motor some day

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Putting some new oil on your finger and putting it on the new filters gasket will help greatly to prevent this and ensure it comes off easily next time you do your oil change.. I always put a little on the drain plug as well.

Latest posts

Members online