Scangauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was reading the thread about KJ not running hot enough . Exactly what is the scangauge you guys are running all the time & what all does it show ? Are there some that are better than others ? I'm probably interested in a reasonably priced one that does the job . Links ?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

I also have this same scangauge as JeepJeepster . It was the first thing I bought for my Jeep. Works good. You just plug it into your OBD 11 port and it is not permanent so you can take it out in a second and plug it into another vehicle if you want. Also, at the push of a button you can change gauges. All the info is on the website.

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I was reading the thread about KJ not running hot enough . Exactly what is the scangauge you guys are running all the time & what all does it show ? Are there some that are better than others ? I'm probably interested in a reasonably priced one that does the job . Links ?

I've ran a scan gauge for over 10 years , reads a lot of different things depending on what you are wanting
I usually have it on water temp, charging, intake air temp and the 4th I change around depending on if on a trip or around town

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those scangauges cost what, between $100-150 depending on the model. What exactly are you looking to do? I bought a $16 bluetooth OBD adapter, and use a free app (Torque Lite) which gives a wide range of gauge options, as well as reading/clearing fault codes.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay thanks dave, good to know. I was kinda wondering why no scan gauge or other gauge factors have a trans temp so I suppose that would be why lol.
I knew it would sound dumb to ask, being that there's probably no way to monitor the temp, but always thought it would be nice to be able to keep an eye on it instead of waiting for the day my dash lights up and says "trans temp" lol

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Those scangauges cost what, between $100-150 depending on the model. What exactly are you looking to do? I bought a $16 bluetooth OBD adapter, and use a free app (Torque Lite) which gives a wide range of gauge options, as well as reading/clearing fault codes.

I assume that you use that on your phone?
If so would be a PITA to hook up/ unhook etc every time I would think.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I knew it would sound dumb to ask, being that there's probably no way to monitor the temp, but always thought it would be nice to be able to keep an eye on it instead of waiting for the day my dash lights up and says "trans temp" lol
With a PML Aluminum 42RLE trans pan, for a minimal price PML can add a threaded port for the temp sensor.
Slightly larger 1.5 quart over stock, cools quickly. Use a trans skid tho with an aluminum pan.
58168[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

PML Link YourCovers.com 42RLE Transmission Pan

Attachments

• 42RLELubeLocker.jpg
    42RLELubeLocker.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 0

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a PML Aluminum 42RLE trans pan, for a minimal price PML can add a threaded port for the temp sensor.
Slightly larger 1.5 quart over stock, cools quickly. Use a trans skid tho with an aluminum pan.
58172[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

PML Link YourCovers.com 42RLE Transmission Pan

this is what you have i assume ? interesting

Attachments

• 42RLELubeLocker.jpg
    42RLELubeLocker.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 0

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes Have had a PML pan for years now.
BTW when a trans temp light comes on, the fluid has overheated. Time to renew the filter/fluid.
PML pan has drain plug, so getting some new ATF+4 fluid installed between full services, is helpful.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume that you use that on your phone?
If so would be a PITA to hook up/ unhook etc every time I would think.

There's nothing to hook up to the phone, it's bluetooth. But you do have to take about 5 seconds to open the app. I do plug/unplug the ALDL adapter, since it's live with the key off. Ok, make that 10 seconds instead of 5.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's nothing to hook up to the phone, it's bluetooth. But you do have to take about 5 seconds to open the app. I do plug/unplug the ALDL adapter, since it's live with the key off. Ok, make that 10 seconds instead of 5.

My setup(see 1st page) is automatic,turns on within seconds of starting my Jeep and not killing my phone battery.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is true, and I'm sure works very well, but I think his only point was that it's like 1/10 the cost of a scangauge and provides the same information.. truthfully I don't regret my scangauge II purchase, but may have take this route in the future for a different setup

Just truly shows that, there really is an app for everything :D

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is true, and I'm sure works very well, but I think his only point was that it's like 1/10 the cost of a scangauge and provides the same information.. truthfully I don't regret my scangauge II purchase, but may have take this route in the future for a different setup

Just truly shows that, there really is an app for everything :D

Not after you figure in the cost of the phone needed,most don't take that into account you have to have a $500-$700 phone which requires a hefty monthly fee.

Call me old fashion,have the cheapy phone that just rings and good luck getting me to even answer that.Want to talk I'd rather do it face to face.It's amazing how much more work I get done at work then all the other techs since I'm not spending half my day screwing around on a phone.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My setup(see 1st page) is automatic,turns on within seconds of starting my Jeep and not killing my phone battery.

Which only costs $330 more than what I am using. I've had a smart phone for the last 6-8 years, which I use for email, internet etc.
Using it as an OBD monitor wasn't even on my mind back then, but it's a great bonus now....it's essentially a free multi-gauge.
I also have one of those hi-tech thingy's called a car charger. What will they think of next!