Scangauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which only costs $330 more than what I am using. I've had a smart phone for the last 6-8 years, which I use for email, internet etc. Using it as an OBD monitor wasn't even on my mind back then, but it's a bonus now. I also have one of those hi-tech thingy's called a car charger. What will they think of next!

Your phone cost you way more then what I paid,you just pay a monthly rental fee.

If I had a dollar for every vehicle owner I told they couldn't use there phone charger because it's messing with the PCM/ECM I'd be very rich.Granted after spending $700+ on a phone I'd buy the $5 charger to then slap myself when it messes up my vehicles computer and have to buy the expensive correct charger.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So some actually do buy them 4-5-600 doller phones:happy175:
Thought they had those just for show.
Can't imagine spending that on something to talk on.
My scan-gauge has lasted 10 years and cost less than a 100 dollar
Been in two Jeeps now over 200,000 miles so its more than paid for itself.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
They have 2 choices in the phone store...smart phones and dumb phones. I went with smart. :happy175:

Oh so you don't have one of the expensive ones then if its a smart ....oh wait smart people buy cheaper phones. Got it mixed up there for a bit:happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175:

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In a scenario like that you're definitely correct. For someone with a phone that isn't capable of downloading the needed apps, it's not really a viable option.
But unfortunately with the world and generation we now live in, most will have access to such an app.. anywhere from my 11 year old cousin to my 70 year old grandmother would be able to use such an app and would only have to buy the Bluetooth adapter..
And hopefully it goes without saying that no offense is meant by those remarks, just stating that it's now that day and age where nearly anyone would be able to use this app.

But I completely understand, it's annoying working salary instead of flat rate because when I'm at work I look around and see people using their phones standing at their boxes all day, while I'm busting ass trying to get as many cars out the door as possible that day.
And then have to think..cool I'm getting paid the same as that guy lol. If we did flat rate incentives, management would quickly pick up on how much the other techs are distracted by technology, whereas I wait until lunch to touch my phone.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, used to be your upgrade paid for the phone...just throwing that out there. Not everyone pays a monthly "rental" fee.

I got my smart phone for free 4 years ago when I started college for free and by treating it well, I still have it.
So technically. My phone cost less than your flip phone...... but you are correct, now they make you pay a monthly fee to buy them instead of paying for them on the spot.
Which is exactly why I haven't used my upgrade which I've had for over 2 years. Still get texts saying "you're eligible to upgrade your phone to blah blah blah"
Nope, I'll keep using my free phone until it dies lol.

Ps. My 70 year old grandmother uses a smart phone every day and loves it. So not about old fashion. It's about being old minded.
It's whether or not you're open to the change, which will happen with or without you. Also. I know for a fact she didn't pay over 100 dollars for it.
So that 100 dollars, 15 Bluetooth adapter, and guess what...she'd still be at less than the price of my scangauge.

The information cactusjacked is offering, is quite valid.. whether you want to dispute the cost of the phone is your own standing, but you can get smart phones for pretty cheap nowadays, you just need to know where and how to look.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also what you're not taking into account, is the fact that what he is stating, is for someone who already has a smart phone... thus the cost for them would literally only be the Bluetooth adapter, as they'll be paying for the phone regardless and cannot be factored into the cost of the gauge.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also what you're not taking into account, is the fact that what he is stating, is for someone who already has a smart phone... thus the cost for them would literally only be the Bluetooth adapter, as they'll be paying for the phone regardless and cannot be factored into the cost of the gauge.

Maybe a comparison they can more relate to is this....
A smart phone is like an OME lift. Flip phone is like a Daystar spacer lift.
Both get a certain job done, but the OME/Smart option gives you much better results.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or, why spend thousands and thousands and thousands on something like this (which is very nice btw):

You must be registered for see images attach

When the vehicle below still gets you from point A to B, but for a lot less money.

So those of us who are using smart phones are the ones spending their money foolishly eh...oh really?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just some input on the whole Scangauge thing - I love having mine mounted and always being able to just look at it. I don't have to worry about draining my phone battery or the likes. It's always plugged in and always turns on with the tC. I think either application would work here! I just liked the idea of having a dedicated device. My buddy uses Torque and it gives quite a bit of good information.

Last edited:

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
someone wrote a program to read the PCI bus so if you have the 42RLE, you can read trans temp with those OBD2 readers to bluetooth/wifi

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f201/jeep-kj-transmission-monitor-60686/

if you have a 45rfe and have time to help him collect data, i'm sure he/she can get something going for the 45rfe.

If that was a reply to my question, I have a 42rle...and am a he...:happy175: who's ever heard of a she named gunner? :D
If not, sorry still find this interesting, as I just feel like it would be nice to be able to keep an eye on it, as we just have a light to tell you when it's too late lol

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Even though it would be nice to view live trans temps, I make do with my OBD2 plug in/ little Autel ****-trip Tp-100.
I think it was about 8 years ago when KeswickDave & LibertyFever bought one, and then I followed.
Pretty cool device, has trip data logging, of course gauges and code reader with clear codes etc.
I wonder what ever happened to Keswick Dave anyways?
58204[/ATTACH]"]

Now that I think about it, ever since I installed the PML Trans Pan, I have never seen a Trans Temp Light again.
Pulled boat in hot summer, off road August camping, so far so good.:gr_grin:

Attachments

• Autel%20Maxi%20Trip%20TP-100.jpg
    Autel%20Maxi%20Trip%20TP-100.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 0

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure there are issues associated with technology in general today. But paying $500 to have basically a supercomputer in your pocket at all times is a great value to me. (The $100 ones aren't bad either if cost is an issue). If waze traffic app saves me 5 minutes a day and my time is worth $60 per hour, that's $1800 per year . . . and thats only one app.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's see, I use my smart phone for.... making calls, taking pictures, taking video, accessing email, accessing the internet, GPS, calculator, text messaging, stopwatch, flashlight, cable tv, and OBD engine monitoring. Man, what a waste of money this thing is, I must not be using it to it's fullest. lol.

Last edited:

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll put it this way. If I didn't have a smart phone. I couldn't use this site. No wifi/Internet at home anymore, so yes. It comes in handy alot. For all intensive purposes either option will work.
But I think what cactusjacked is saying, has the potential to save a lot of people money while still being able to access the same information they would with a scangauge....well actually more information apparently, if you can view Trans temps..

Ps.. I've never had my trans temp light come on, just think it would be handy to know it's going to before it turns on because at that point, it's too late.
I haven't towed a great amount with mine, but have pulled around my mustang on a uhaul trailer 150 miles, my Volare around town a few times... and made many scrap runs with it.
2wd for the win. I also use it to pull trailers of gravel every year to do mine and my grandparents driveways...never let me down yet.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's see, I use my smart phone for.... making calls, taking pictures, taking video, accessing email, accessing the internet, GPS, calculator, text messaging, stopwatch, flashlight, cable tv, and OBD engine monitoring. Man, what a waste of money this thing is, I must not be using it to it's fullest. lol.

Yah, but will it make you a sammich...?....LOL

Dave

Latest posts

Members online