It's a daily driver now- here is a checklist of stuff I need to do yet. Suggestions? A couple questions too.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cruisingram2000

Reaction score
I got this 2002 Liberty for my wife, as our last 2004, that looked EXACTLY like this one died after 150k of use, so right at 300k it threw a rod. So anyway- she loved it so much, I been chasing down some bugs on this new one. I bought it for 1k with a blown motor- whole story on that- but I had a wrecked liberty of the same year with good motor and trans I had picked up about 3 years ago for 200 bucks, so I got 2000 total into this thing- perfect tires, interior etc- really amazing for Hawaii. If not for the blown motor- this would have been a 6k vehicle here. Two wheel drive, so it gets about 5-10 more MPG right off than the old 4 wheel one, and it really does well. I had this crappy honda pilot, supposed to be all great MPG, good comparo, and the liberty does way better.

Anyway- so, the "sport" lights- how do I get them working? I see a switch on the far left of the dash, under the AC vent, I am assuming runs those lights. I can't seem to get them on- is there a trick I don't know?

The shocks are worn, and probably the springs as well, should I go with the old man emu 1.5 springs now?

I got this weird code 1494, I will look it up, but if some one has a quick fix for that, would like to know.

Attachments

• Liberty.jpg
    Liberty.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 10

WheelNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like you got yourself a good deal! The colour matched wheels are cool.
Do you need more ground clearance? Are you really going to take it offroad? If not then don't bother replacing the springs. I know the lift will make the vehicle look a bit more tough, but the lift springs will make the ride worse since they are stiffer. The higher ride height will also degrade your fuel economy and increase the likely hood of a rollover. New shocks is always a good idea though! If you are going to take this 2wd KJ offroad then go for the OME springs.
As for the lights- check the bulbs first and then continuity at the lights and at the switch. Might be a wiring issue if it isn't the bulbs.
RWD only normally wouldn't improve fuel economy by 5-10 mpg, but maybe your last Liberty was consuming more fuel than it should have been? 5-10 mpg difference would be a 30-60% improvement, which is way more than the 6% improvement the EPA shows for RWD vs 4x4. Anyhow, any relief from fuel expenses is certainly welcome as Hawaii is an unbelievably expensive place. The wife and I were in Kuaui for our honeymoon last month and food cost 2-3x what it does here in Vancouver, unreal. The gas was cheaper in Hawaii than it is here though.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put in a 2” lift and the ride is not stiff. It’s a vast improvement over the worn out stock springs.

cruisingram2000

Reaction score
Seems like you got yourself a good deal! The colour matched wheels are cool.
Do you need more ground clearance? Are you really going to take it offroad? If not then don't bother replacing the springs. I know the lift will make the vehicle look a bit more tough, but the lift springs will make the ride worse since they are stiffer. The higher ride height will also degrade your fuel economy and increase the likely hood of a rollover. New shocks is always a good idea though! If you are going to take this 2wd KJ offroad then go for the OME springs.
As for the lights- check the bulbs first and then continuity at the lights and at the switch. Might be a wiring issue if it isn't the bulbs.
RWD only normally wouldn't improve fuel economy by 5-10 mpg, but maybe your last Liberty was consuming more fuel than it should have been? 5-10 mpg difference would be a 30-60% improvement, which is way more than the 6% improvement the EPA shows for RWD vs 4x4. Anyhow, any relief from fuel expenses is certainly welcome as Hawaii is an unbelievably expensive place. The wife and I were in Kuaui for our honeymoon last month and food cost 2-3x what it does here in Vancouver, unreal. The gas was cheaper in Hawaii than it is here though.
I like the extra clearance because of our road- we have lava rocks that regularly get exposed after rains or fall from the sides of the road, and the clearence prevents oil pan issues LOL>