Salvage yard finds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I see PA's not in the state list huh, oh well...

I got an old Sundance for free, a half dozen years back, the people were told it needed an Exhaust system, hood latch, windshield, and what not. Well, they did not want to pay the $2100.00 plus they were told to fix it, so they were going to Donate it, I said, hey, i'll take it! So, they gave it to me. I got it all fixed for $225.00... I pulled the parts from the junk-yard myself, but, the problem? This is funny; I had to stand on the front passenger side wheel (with flat tire) of another off the ground car, to get to the junk Shadow to pull the hood-latch. Yeah, guess what, the tire rolled, and down through I went... Funny...

It's not safe pulling your own parts. Another time, my brother and I were in a junk yard, pulling the heads off a '74 Buick motor. We were using the pry-bar with socket on the end; both pulling to get the bolt out. It came off the bolt, flew up and hit me in the forehead; nice... We laughed our ***** off, but yeah, pulling your own parts can be hazardous.

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another good one is www.car-parts.com It listed about any part in any junkyard from your zip code and around.
Our local pick-pullin Cinci somtimes runs specials like trannys for $125 but of course, you have to do all the work to get it.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another good one is www.car-parts.com It listed about any part in any junkyard from your zip code and around.
Our local pick-pullin Cinci somtimes runs specials like trannys for $125 but of course, you have to do all the work to get it.

I've been using that website for years, great resource!

One of our local yards here added a new u-pull-it area to their yard. Problem is so far all they have put out there is the old junk nobody else wants. The newer vehicles are still on the other side of the fence.

The only KJ i have seen in a yard was over an hours drive away!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
We have like 5 wrecking yards left in our Metropolitan area.
Non are "U-pull-it" places anymore.:(

Why?

Too much liability risk and too much theft.

Now if you go to one, a wrecker rat goes and grabs the "Part" and brings it out to you.
You don't know what your getting, it was better when the customer could go into the yard and select from which vehicle the parts came out of.

Not only that, but the prices on used parts isn't worth it any more. May as well buy new.

sd89gta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, just how many times have YOU won it? The Darwin Awards salute the improvement of
the human genome by honoring those who accidentally remove themselves from it...

I got it, and though it quite funny. Of course, this is coming from the guy who enjoyed his anthropology class very much...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see PA's not in the state list huh, oh well...

I got an old Sundance for free, a half dozen years back, the people were told it needed an Exhaust system, hood latch, windshield, and what not. Well, they did not want to pay the $2100.00 plus they were told to fix it, so they were going to Donate it, I said, hey, i'll take it! So, they gave it to me. I got it all fixed for $225.00... I pulled the parts from the junk-yard myself, but, the problem? This is funny; I had to stand on the front passenger side wheel (with flat tire) of another off the ground car, to get to the junk Shadow to pull the hood-latch. Yeah, guess what, the tire rolled, and down through I went... Funny...

It's not safe pulling your own parts. Another time, my brother and I were in a junk yard, pulling the heads off a '74 Buick motor. We were using the pry-bar with socket on the end; both pulling to get the bolt out. It came off the bolt, flew up and hit me in the forehead; nice... We laughed our ***** off, but yeah, pulling your own parts can be hazardous.
hah.gifhah.gifhah.gifhah.gifhah.gifhah.gifhah.gifhah.gifhah.gifhah.gif

If your using a pry bar to try to pull cylinder head bolts off then you deserve to be hit in the head,maybe it will knock sense into you,but with you I doubt it,sorry but had to say it(the truth hurts).Also doing unsafe practices like what you have written your going to hurt yourself and maybe should not be working on your own stuff much less any one else's.Common sense goes along way.

Basically don't say pulling your own parts is is hazardous because it is not if you have any amount of mechanical ability and the right tools(key words there "the right tools").

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
hah.gifhah.gifhah.gifhah.gifhah.gifhah.gifhah.gifhah.gifhah.gifhah.gif

If your using a pry bar to try to pull cylinder head bolts off then you deserve to be hit in the head,maybe it will knock sense into you,but with you I doubt it,sorry but had to say it(the truth hurts).Also doing unsafe practices like what you have written your going to hurt yourself and maybe should not be working on your own stuff much less any one else's.Common sense goes along way.

Basically don't say pulling your own parts is is hazardous because it is not if you have any amount of mechanical ability and the right tools(key words there "the right tools").

Watch out Troy, he's going to come up with some inane reason that you're wrong and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the methods used...

OHIO04KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just trying to help some people out with salvage parts(lol)grouphug.gif

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Elaan of Troyius: My brother was using the pry-bar, I was watching. I say WE because well, hmmm, yeah, I was there. It was funny anyway, so who cares, we laughed the whole damn time. It was not just a simple pry bar, just like a huge wrench, except you can put sockets on the end; that's what the Junk Yard gave him to use, hah hah... Not only that, it wasn't anywhere near a medical emergency. Turns out the heads were the wrong ones, they showed him the wrong engine, another brilliant specimen that runs a business.

Junkie: I am not wrong, because I wasn't using it, so yeah, he is half wrong. I am guilty by association, right?

Now, be quiet, I am trying not to use my brakes, so they don't heat up, as I don't want to die in a ravine.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Regardless of who did it, and who said what, this has been a funny thread.

I'm just glad nobody got seriously hurt. :)

I wish I knew of a pick it yourself place. The only place I know of doesn't have anything newer than '96.

And you're right Ry, the prices of used parts is ridiculous these days. Keyword: USED, which means it should have a USED price attached to it!

Khaotic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I hit myself in the head with pry bars and buick parts too. It's ok... We're here to talk about it.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Sometimes I hit myself in the head with pry bars and buick parts too. It's ok... We're here to talk about it.

Yes, as we need to get it out in the open so we can be cured... I didn't hit myself in the head, my BRO did... If you were there, you would have laughed your ass off too.

What made it worse, and slightly more humorous (a few days later after he called me up), was; as I said, was the wrong heads. His heads have 72 stamped on them, he was told the 74 heads would work, and they did not; the 74 heads have two additional water jackets (near the center, in towards the intake manifold), the 72 ones did not. So, he just had to have his 72 heads sent out and repaired, ported and polished. Then, he got back a set of 74 heads (of course he did), which do not work as we all know. They had to call the place, and track his original heads down, and it took THREE MONTHS to get that car back on the road.