Rock Lizard Convertible Bumper is here......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donberry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After finally deciding on the R.L convertible bumper, I used the layway plan to hold the special new year's price he had going and then I paid off the balance about 3 weeks ago.
I went on a motorcycle trip to Texas last week (worst trip ever) and talking to the wife on the phone, she told me 2 big packages had come for me - my bumper. Took about 2 weeks after paying it off..........

I emailed Martin to tell him I got it, and to thank him and he did tell me that he still has to get me the winch plate and the winch guard, but those are just bol ton so I can go ahead and get the bumper painted and mounted.
After going back and forth a million times, for the finish I decided on hammered gray. I am going to 1st coat the bumper with Rust Bullet, then shoot it with filler primer, then the hammered gray. More than likely I will then finish it off by shooting it with some urethane clear coat - still a bit undecided on that. I like the durability, but am thinking it might be too glossy.
I have always just had much, much better durability using an automotive clear coat as opposed to spray cans.
I am waiting for the Rust Bullet to get here to get started. I am also not sure if I should shoot it with etching primer before the rust bullet. Apparently it is not necessary, but I have it so if I find out it will help, I will do it.

I had some hesitation abou ordering this bumper due to posts about a long wait time, but it has been my experience that Martin has always answered my emails promptly and tho I don;t have it all yet, I got most of the bumper in about 2 weeks - so obviously I am thrilled....
after this it will be the winch, then the OME suspension........I dread the tires as that is going to be costly
You must be registered for see images

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
LOOKS GREAT DONBERRY:banana-mario:

Just wait until you have it on there !
will be waiting for pictures
If you have any mounting questions just ask

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd put a coat of etching primer after a wipe down with a phosphate based cleaner/primer/etcher. I've had way to many bare metal jobs rust and that combo works.

donberry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, that did not last long. After a motorcycle trip from hell I decided I needed a car that I could travel to Denver and San Antonio in often, so I ended up buying a XJ8 Jaguar and sold the Jeep. I really hated to , but the Jag will be much better for the traveling I will be doing.
Hopefully some day I will pick up another to fix up

donberry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2004 - apparently all the problems have been worked out and it is supposed to be a very reliable vehicle.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's off topic, but let me warn ya about it. When the car was new, it was reliable. They run strong and are nice. That being said, typical euro car with a love affair for plastic under the hood on the engine. Valve cover leaks that saturate the coils, intake plenum gasket leaks and the goofy coolant manifold on the front of the engine that likes to crack. They are far better than the old pre-ford jags, but they are like most euro cars. Lose them after 3 years or 50k miles lol

donberry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
streetglideok - not a fan huh :) Now I do not have any long term experience but that does not seem to be the consensus of the owners in various forums. The big down side that I thought about is when something does go wrong - there is a good chance I won't be able to fix it and will not be cheap to fix.
It seems the one thing to watch out for is the air suspension. Many have no problems, but it seems some do and it is not cheap to fix - tho some switch to a strut system if they do start having problems.
BUT - I was looking at the Audi's and researching those, that seems to be the car that seems to have all kinds of problems after 3-5 years - a german car, who would have thunk it.
It's mine now and I do know it is great to drive. Car and Driver tested it with the BMW 745i, the Audi A8L and the Benz S430 and ranked it 2nd (they gave Benz #1). Basically a luxo sports tourer that handles like the others but a soft ride instead of a pure sports car ride..
I had an older Porsche 928 and loved it for touring, was my favorite tourer - this Jag does it as well plus I get the Jag interior, whichj I have always loved and real back seats .
Road trip to Ohio was 486 miles one way. I fell behind a car buzzing along and did 90 almost half the way there - I got 29.6 mpg.
Coming home I was around 78 most of the way - I got 28 mpg.
It is supposed to be 16 city and like 24 highway but even around town I am averaging 25-26 mpg and I am not always driving for mileage......I love it and only time will tell about the problems. This has 88k on it now, so we shall soon see.

Don't know why so cheap but I paid $7995 and it is in excellent condition with 86k. I have put about 1800 miles on it already and the only problem I have had is keeping the smile off my face when I decide to play rocket or hit the curves