Replacing Transmission Cooler Return Lines. NEED HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willy88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so i haven't been on here in a awhile, due to job relocating and such. But I got a pretty simple question that I should already know how to fix, but can't cause simply, I'm partially a window licker. The fitting that connects the hardline of the transmission return line and the rubber hose has a leak. I'm gonna TRY and replace it without having to go to the stealership. So what all do I need? Flaring kit? What size hose? What size fitting? Any response would be greatly appreciated.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not a high-pressure line so no specialty fittings or hoses are required. I found parts at NAPA.

Cut the rubber line at the end of the fitting, cut the hard line with a tubing cutter and then marry the two back together with double ended brass union on the existing rubber hose connecting to another short section of hose, with a union/nipple with a flare fitting on the other end. Slide the nut for the compression fitting onto the hardline, then flare the hard line and tighten the nut to the other end of the union.

Hard to explain but I think when you have the pieces/parts in front of you it will make sense. I added the in-radiator trans cooler to mine and you can see the fittings going into the radiator and the unions between the sections of rubber hose:

You must be registered for see images

I feel kinda dumb saying this, but I'm not sure how in the world you '07 owners are supposed to refill your ****** after a project like this. I know why Chrysler got rid of the filler tube on the one hand but what a pain in the butt on the other... :icon_mad:

Bob

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel kinda dumb saying this, but I'm not sure how in the world you '07 owners are supposed to refill your ****** after a project like this. I know why Chrysler got rid of the filler tube on the one hand but what a pain in the butt on the other... :icon_mad:

Bob
To many adding the incorrect ATF.

Besides for what you showed in the pics will not work for a '07 with a stand alone trans cooler and not the in-radiator trans cooler.

To the OP if you can easily access the crimped ends of the leaking cooler lines(where the hard line and rubber line meet) you can use a cut-off wheel,or dremal, and carefully cut that crimp off.Do not cut the hard line and don't go to far into the crimp,just enough to reach the rubber line underneath.After the crimped part is cut off you can remove the rubber line,replace with new 3/8" trans cooler line(any parts store) and use hose clamps to secure as the hard line under the crimp and rubber line is barbed.

willy88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate it guys. It'll definitely be a lot cheaper than what the $350 I know the dealer will want.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To many adding the incorrect ATF.

Besides for what you showed in the pics will not work for a '07 with a stand alone trans cooler and not the in-radiator trans cooler.

To the OP if you can easily access the crimped ends of the leaking cooler lines(where the hard line and rubber line meet) you can use a cut-off wheel,or dremal, and carefully cut that crimp off.Do not cut the hard line and don't go to far into the crimp,just enough to reach the rubber line underneath.After the crimped part is cut off you can remove the rubber line,replace with new 3/8" trans cooler line(any parts store) and use hose clamps to secure as the hard line under the crimp and rubber line is barbed.

The pic is only there to show how the rubber lines are joined with a union as I mentioned in my thread.

Good info on how the rubber and hard lines are connected. I didn't know there is a barb on the hard line. (I hate those OEM connectors!)

Thanks Troy.

Bob