Replacing My Rear Axle Fluid every 15k?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
150??
Wish I lived closer to ya I'd do it for 125 ! :happy175:
Have you tried doing it yourself, not hard to do if you think paying someone else 150 is too much

davidski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea. carmax wants 180... some places refuse to do it.. and pepboys wants 95$ for labor and 30 for oil and another 15$ for seals, etc...

but seriously, every 15k?

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes if you want your vehicle to last and function properly. Owning a vehicle isn't cheap, you should never cheap out on it or it WILL fail you. And doing the maintenance yourself not only saves you a TON of money but let's you feel more connected with your vehicle and make it that much more special to you.

davidski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or maybe i should re-word. when something goes wrong and you have to get warranty work done and they ask for proof of services.... you cant give it to them right? or do you just show them receipts for parts/material.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
or maybe i should re-word. when something goes wrong and you have to get warranty work done and they ask for proof of services.... you cant give it to them right? or do you just show them receipts for parts/material.

I'll defer to those more expert than myself, but my understanding is that legally a receipt for materials will do it. Years ago dealerships tried to void warranties unless they - and only they - did the maintenance. They got sued by all the private garages who did similar work, and by the big chains like Jiffy-Lube, who lost business because customers were afraid of getting soaked if their engine failed and they hadn't had the "official" service done at the dealer.

The dealers lost and included in the suit was room for the private owner who just wanted to change his own oil, etc.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Just keep receipts of everything you do
I have every quart of oil, filters, spark plugs etc that has been done to mine over the last 187,000 miles .
Plus I never worry about warranty work, last 5 new vehicles never went back to the dealerships for anything

davidski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nah, carmax, bump 2 bump, 0$ deductible, 100% parts /labor, car rental and towing. 72 months or 150k, which ever comes 1st. (im @ 75k now), and my loan is only for 60 months, so Im covered.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
doesnt doing stuff yourself void warranties?

No as long as you use the correct fluids.Putting DEXIII in the trans and then trying to get the trans warrantied when it goes out will void any warranty but not if you used ATF+4.

You can do the diff services,both if you have 4wd, for less then $30 total and a hours of your time.The rear diff alone can be done for less then $20.

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm 20 miles south in Laurel. Done both front and rear diffs, as well as transfer case. Tell me when you want to do it and you can drive down. Takes 20 mins to do the front, a bit longer for the rear, depending on if you use RTV or a gasket.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did front and rear diffs for $16. you need to learn to do it urself! that would mean your labor rate would be around $67 dollars an hour (saved)!