Rear axle oil leak cause

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pgy

Reaction score
Seems I have a new issue with my KJ, I noticed this small oil puddle under the rear axle (i think, not sure what the part is called). I took some photos as best as I could.

I would appreciate any help identifying the cause so I can hopefully get the spare part before my dealer appt. Otherwise they will probably charge me a lot . KJ 2003 2.8 CRD, 4x4

Thank you again! Apologies for the image size, uploading from mobile.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, pinion seal. Unfortunately that is not a DIY fix unless you’ve set up gears before.

Reactions: Pgy

Pgy

Reaction score
Yes, pinion seal. Unfortunately that is not a DIY fix unless you’ve set up gears before.
No, I have no clue. So much so that I didn't even know what could be wrong. But I can order the seal and take it to the dealership so they can change it. At least I don't have to pay the overpriced part.

Pgy

Reaction score
I also had photos from a different angle.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Job I should be doing shortly, I've had the diff off my 2.5 laying in the workshop for too long!

Reactions: Pgy

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're not hard if you have a long breaker bar or a strong impact driver. Plenty of videos. That's of course if the bearings are still good, otherwise you'll be resetting gear as stated above which is a whole different animal.

Pgy

Reaction score
They're not hard if you have a long breaker bar or a strong impact driver. Plenty of videos. That's of course if the bearings are still good, otherwise you'll be resetting gear as stated above which is a whole different animal.
I won't attempt this one, still dealing with a check engine light after i cleaned the MAP sensor.. :( I'm a rookie..

Before i saw the leak i drove a short distance, and there was no sounds, noises, etc. I'd expect i would hear something if the bearings would be bad. I parked in the garage and after 3 days or so of no driving i noticed this small oil puddle.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I've never done the pinion seal, just seen differentials done on Youtube. :p

I seem to remember a crush sleeve on the pinion that has to be crushed just enough but not too much... but maybe that doesn't have to be messed with if you only remove the driveshaft yoke. Always learning.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are supposed to be able to mark the nut and pinion, undo it, pull the yoke, pull the seal, replace the seal, replace the yoke and tighten the nut back to the mark, assuming the preload was correct in the first place then all should be OK. Don't forget to top up the oil! And have a catch tray for the oil that will drop out of the diff.
Mine is shot, the axle tube has rusted, bits dropped into the oil and made a lovely grinding paste that wiped out all the bearings, so I've invested in an inch/lb torque wrench and a set of bearing, I was going to do it shortly, unfortunately I am currently standing outside A&E with a snapped tendon in my arm, so it looks like a 6 week delay.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are supposed to be able to mark the nut and pinion, undo it, pull the yoke, pull the seal, replace the seal, replace the yoke and tighten the nut back to the mark, assuming the preload was correct in the first place then all should be OK. Don't forget to top up the oil! And have a catch tray for the oil that will drop out of the diff.
Mine is shot, the axle tube has rusted, bits dropped into the oil and made a lovely grinding paste that wiped out all the bearings, so I've invested in an inch/lb torque wrench and a set of bearing, I was going to do it shortly, unfortunately I am currently standing outside A&E with a snapped tendon in my arm, so it looks like a 6 week delay.
What he said about the seal replacement. Bummer about the injury.

Pgy

Reaction score
Sorry about your injury! Hope you recover quickly!