replaced ignition switch/actuator...still wont run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
help. ive never had an issue with my jeep until now. i knew the switch was going bad as the accessory positions wouldnt work.

so i replaced the ignition switch and the actuator. it still does the same thing.

today trying to leave work i crank the engine and let it warm up for about 2 minutes, then it stuttered and died. its not cranked since. even after i replaced the ignition parts and yes the metal in the actuator was broken so that did need fixing. but still it wont run. the position of the switch works in all areas now so im sure i got it in correctly.

the engine will turn over very fast as the battery is new but it wont run. never even tries to hit a lick. its almost as if no gas is getting to it.

going to try the key trick to get a code....update coming with code.

UPDATE: cant seem to get the key trick to work for the codes. its on off 3 times right?

also just thinking since the actuator was broken when i pulled it apart, is there any chance the fuel pump fuse blew due to the screwed up ignition? like i said earlier, the engine ran fine, then died after 2 minutes of a warm up. it did try to run after i disconnected the battery a few minutes later to reset anything. but still nothing since.

Last edited:

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Won't run

First, check the fuel pump fuse and then the fuel pump relay. If these are ok, then open the Schrader valve after turning over the engine. You should have pressure in the fuel line. Alternately you can check to see if getting fuel by pulling plug and seeing if it is wet after turning the engine over. I also check to make sure I have spark on a no start situation. When working with anything electrical, it is good practice to disconnect the battery before starting work. You may well have already done the above checks but tell us what you find.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another possibility is the Camshaft Position Sensor or the Crankshaft Position Sensor. My CKS died while on the highway (during rush hour - in Memphis - in the rain :favorites68: ) and it exhibited the same symptoms you're talking about.

I was able to get the code with the key trick so I knew mine wasn't fuel-related. In your situation I'm not sure if the no-start is due to the actuator or not - if a friend has a handheld scanner maybe he can get codes for you.

Helpless feeling, isn't it? :blah:

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
On an 06 the key thing won't work (if memory serves me right that yours is an 06)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need 3 things for the engine to run.......................

Air,Fuel,and Spark(at the correct time).Check the fuel pressure,should be about 50-55psi or so.If good check for spark.

Most likely no spark which many things can cause that will not trip the MIL.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok tired the scanner from auto zone. the only thing i got was battery at 50% loss or something like that. no codes!

the key actuator was broke, but replacing with new one didnt get jeep started.

the fuel pump relay if good. but i dont hear the fuel pump when i turn the key. ordered pump today.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your battery is suspect, it won't start...modern engines with computer control and FI need all the voltage to start...

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok tired the scanner from auto zone. the only thing i got was battery at 50% loss or something like that. no codes!

the key actuator was broke, but replacing with new one didnt get jeep started.

the fuel pump relay if good. but i dont hear the fuel pump when i turn the key. ordered pump today.

Much cheaper to get a fuel pressure gauge and check pressure at the rail before ordering a fuel pump. Fuel pump can be a big job if you don't have the access plate (earlier models) and have skids and hitch.

I have NEVER heard my fuel pump. Both my original and the new one. YMMV.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok update! i replaced the fuel pump and now it cranks and runs like new. i wasnt able to make a how to video like i usually do due to not having 3 arms. BUT i will tear it all back down later this year for that vid and just fake my way through it for the camera so i can get a good how to vid for everyone.

really the job wasnt that bad. the worst part was me not having a garage and concrete floor to lay on. a lift would have been perfect, but it wasnt bad as long as you go slow and unhook everything. the most time consuming and aggravating part was draining the gas out so i wouldnt be dealing with a 3/4 full tank. i just used a thin clear rubber line (ice maker tubing) and fed it into the tank after i removed the main gas line from the filler neck at the tank. use the biggest tubing u can feed in there and itll cut the drain time dramatically. or use a jack to hold the tank as u unbolt the straps.

i did however get 2 vids made showing how to change out the cam and crank sensors. those were very easy and i figured id put those in since i was over 100k now and they werent to expensive. get the mopar brand so they will be good quality.

so here is what the symptoms were for a fuel pump that goes out.

i crank up engine at work to go home and let it warm up for about 2 minutes. then out of the blue the engine stumbled and fluttered for about 1 second and died. would not crank back. engine would turn over, but it would not start running again. it did try to start about 3 times after i pulled the battery cables to try and reset whatever may have happened. i thought it might do the trick to at least get me home. but nothing happened other than a few spurts of what sounded like the engine trying to run for about 1/4 of a second.

scanner i borrowed from auto zone showed no code other than 50% battery drain or something to that effect, but battery is only 3 months old so i didnt worry with that.

never in the 8 yrs ive owned this jeep have i had an issue with anything so nothing weird happened leading up to this.

however i did notice about 4 days earlier the ignition was broke as it wouldnt work in the accessory position. i changed the switch and the actuator hoping this was the problem. it wasnt. just bad timing i suppose.

video coming on how to drop the tank later this year when im bored enough to do this again laying in the dirt and cussing loudly. lol

thanks for all the input and thanks to someone for reading my email and coming on here and replying. you know who you are. nuff said!

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you change the spark plugs in the gas tank while you were in there? :happy175:

(Those in the know will get it.) ;)

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you change the spark plugs in the gas tank while you were in there? :happy175:

(Those in the know will get it.) ;)

ahhh crap!! i forgot. hmmm, maybe i should point that out when i do the vid later.

Latest posts

Members online