Removing swaybar and axle "nuts"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

piaa_nissan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Planning to crawl underneath and remove the counter weight from the axle yoke and wanted to get everyone's idea of removing the rear sway bar. I've pulled the rear sway for every other Jeep I've owned but wanted options on the Lib since its a new platform to me. I already have OME springs and airbags in the rear so I figured ride wouldn't suffer. Any cons I'm not aware of?

Sent from Dark Side of the Moon using Tapatalk 2

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of people have removed rear sway bar with no bad effects. You might have a little more body movement on the highway I've heard, and you get a little more articulation off road. I haven't taken mine of yet but I plan to try it next time I go wheeling.

piaa_nissan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, you guys talked me into it ;) I've never saw the value in the past but thought I'd check. Thanks for all the input!

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
x3 - I concur. Mine's been gone for a long time as well. Handles just fine.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed my sway bars and No problems. But What does the counter weight do and could it affect anything when you remove it?

piaa_nissan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are to counter any axle vibration helping with drive quality. To me it's dead weight, with both removed I've seen no noticeable difference. They are popular to bandaid design issues.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X4

I took off my rear sway bar when I lifted mine. I literally never noticed a difference.

Oh yeah, as for the rear axle "nuts." Mine is also neutered. Took off the bull's equipment and now he's a steer. No worries about a baby KJ showing up down the road... :laughing1:

Bob

Last edited:

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't drive much more then 20mph without that front swaybar.You may think it feels good to drive but one emergancy lane change at 50mph and your going to roll.

Ive yet to roll. They've been off for almost 6 months now. No problems. I'm an emt (going to school for medic) so I'm on call at my local fire dept. I've driven well over the speed limit on many back country curvy roads to get to many MVC's No problems. Thanks for the concern but I assure you it didn't changed much at all. And before anything gets said to I talked to my insurance agent and if I do wreck I'm still covered.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you're in Alabama
and an EMT
:signs8:

To others, do not run without a front sway bar

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Whats it mean?
It means you're not on the same roads I am so I'm safer
Plus if you're an EMT you can bandage your self up after a wreck
You may have been lucky so far but sooner or later it'll happen
Sway bars are installed for a reason

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe driving style delegates... who knows? :shrug: I won't risk it. I unintentionally drove mine without the front swaybar attached, on the interstate, it was squirrely as (censored). Turns out I had *lost* the hardware on one of the links. Never again.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than when I need to go to a call I drive under the speed limit. If I wanna continue my career as a EMT and someday Medic I have to have a perfect driving record. I'm probably the safest 19 year old male driver out there lol

Last edited:

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm going up north to visit my family sometime this summer. Illinois and Michigan. I can swing by Ohio and Tom can drive the crap out of it. Nothing about my maneuvering has changed. The fact that my tires sit 6" wider than stock helps

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm going up north to visit my family sometime this summer. Illinois and Michigan. I can swing by Ohio and Tom can drive the crap out of it. Nothing about my maneuvering has changed. The fact that my tires sit 6" wider than stock helps
Just don't promote others to do the same or that is it safe to drive any any speed above 5mph,it is not safe as that front swaybar is a intergrated part of the front suspension.IFS and a solid axle reacts very differently with and without a swaybar.You must not have a clue how a swaybar actually works on a IFS vehicle.It does a whole lot more then keep the body roll down.

The reason removing the rear can be done with no ill effects is it only connects the rear LCA's together while the front attaches to the "frame".

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please educate me on how I'm wrong please and how the integrated part of the sway bar is different