Recall notice....2004....anybody else????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just received a recall notice regarding my daughters 2004 Liberty. Something having to do with the trailer hitch. Anybody else have a notice about this?

Rowlette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had mine installed 6 months ago.
Just use the most handy tool on all forums. "Search"

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes lots of posts regading it
I just received my 13th notice :happy175:
Bunch of BS crap :icon_lol:

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1.56 million Jeeps are affected with the trailer hitch recall.
51 fatalities

That's a heck of alot of Jeeps.

NHTSA initially agreed to allow Chrysler to install the hitches to provide better gas tank protection because the tank is located between the axle and the rear bumper. Turn's out the hitch is no better protecting the tank than the bumper.

I did not know that fuel tank location is so tightly regulated.

Search button is awesome!!!

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Heres what they should do about the hitch recall. 1/4" thick fuel tank skid, full steel bumper.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep Kilby gas tank skid, plus steel rear bumper
keep your factory hitch
You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
1.56 million Jeeps are affected with the trailer hitch recall.
51 fatalities

That's a heck of alot of Jeeps.

NHTSA initially agreed to allow Chrysler to install the hitches to provide better gas tank protection because the tank is located between the axle and the rear bumper. Turn's out the hitch is no better protecting the tank than the bumper.

I did not know that fuel tank location is so tightly regulated.

Search button is awesome!!!

I do believe that figure includes Grand Cherokees as well as Libertys as far as deaths . Last accounts I read there were not that many involving KJs

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow. That's kinda late to receive that notice.
There's already a new recall notice since to refix the air bag issue they thought the fixed with a previous recall.

windman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lifting jeeps with tanks at back with full steel bumpers are also prone to get serious amount damage from rear end collissions. there was a photo showing a lifted and full steel rear bumper equipped red WJ, hit from back and bent from middle of top section! plastic bumpers and foam inserts really work and absorbs damage.

i experienced this with ZJ laredo, i had designed and installed trailer hitch to move our boat trailer here. a car rear ended and bent my custom hitch without touching chasis or gas tank. accident bent rear door becasue of torn rear bumper, and metal support bracked took rest of energy released during accident. if ZJ would not be the stock one, our rear axle would be gone because of the sedan hit to us and our journey would end.

jeep sould locate gas tanks under rear seat like japanese do for decades.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
lifting jeeps with tanks at back with full steel bumpers are also prone to get serious amount damage from rear end collissions. there was a photo showing a lifted and full steel rear bumper equipped red WJ, hit from back and bent from middle of top section! plastic bumpers and foam inserts really work and absorbs damage.

i experienced this with ZJ laredo, i had designed and installed trailer hitch to move our boat trailer here. a car rear ended and bent my custom hitch without touching chasis or gas tank. accident bent rear door becasue of torn rear bumper, and metal support bracked took rest of energy released during accident. if ZJ would not be the stock one, our rear axle would be gone because of the sedan hit to us and our journey would end.

jeep sould locate gas tanks under rear seat like japanese do for decades.

:emotions34:
I'll keep mine at the rear Thank you instead of under the rear seat
Mines been hit in the rear 3 times, NO damage excpet for the ones that hit me and had to be towed away

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sound like they need to get the news media involved, like with the old outside the frame tank mounted Chevy pickups. If ya can't get one to flame up, use a bit of explosives!

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

windman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is no problem for me since we are on LPG and gasoline level is always almost 0. but a leaking tank would not be good since exhaust pipe is too close.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
it is no problem for me since we are on LPG and gasoline level is always almost 0. but a leaking tank would not be good since exhaust pipe is too close.

KJ is one of the safest vehicles out there really, only reason this whole gas tank issue is really an issue is due to a very very small number who complained. Insurance companies got involved like they do just to stir up crap.