2004 Liberty Control Shift Cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joeyB

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I need to get a control shift cable for my 2004 Jeep Liberty. This Jeep is automatic, 3.7, 6 cylinder. It is no longer available through Jeep. Does anyone know if a different year or model can be used. Having a lot of trouble finding it in after market. Thanks for any help

odonovj

Reaction score
And you're positive that the cable itself is unusable or is it another component. I'm thinking that maybe it can be salvaged ... or not?

joeyB

Reaction score
And you're positive that the cable itself is unusable or is it another component. I'm thinking that maybe it can be salvaged ... or not?
The mechanic said the cable broke

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
You may have to search for a used shift cable from a scrap yard.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There must be companies that make cables in the US, have a hunt on the Internet, there will be people supplying the classic/custom car/plant market. Google 'Speedy Cables' for the UK equivalent and you'll see what I mean.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I need to get a control shift cable for my 2004 Jeep Liberty. This Jeep is automatic, 3.7, 6 cylinder. It is no longer available through Jeep. Does anyone know if a different year or model can be used. Having a lot of trouble finding it in after market. Thanks for any help
Specify automatic transmission or transfer case cable?

Trainmaster

Reaction score
Check ebay. I bought one there last year. Also note that if the bushing in the end of it is worn out, the part that snaps over the stud in the transmission or shifter arm is replaceable. An aftermarket part is made for this and is available on Amazon and ebay. I used a replacement bushing in the thing for several years.

Stainless

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue -- After sitting in the garage for a year, the shifter was really stiff. As I was spray lubing it, the top 6" of linkage came out of the tube by the shifter yesterday afternoon, leaving a broken cable behind.

All I can find online is replacement bushings for the cable ends, and used parts for $150 (!)...

The pull your own junkyard near me has four Liberties, so I guess I'm going to be on my back in the snow. This must be a really rare fix, there's nothing on youtube about it... Service manual makes it look pretty easy, though.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you have to replace the cable at this time of year.
Jeep's definitely do not like to sit for a year.
You have to start, shift & drive them, otherwise problems like this may arise.
Best wishes on cable replacement.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I needed to find a bushing on the end and improvised to work, good luck

Members online

No members online now.