Rear Sawy Bar Deleted!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yay, finally got around to removing the rear sway bar. I find the ride on our roads which are horrible is much better. Less "slamming" over pot holes. An overall softer feeling in the rear which is very nice. Anyone else enjoy their rides better with a deleted rear sway bar?

And yes I understand what a sway bar does, and no I don't want your negative comments :):smokin:

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah when removing it I noticed that it only connected to the LCA. I thought it would have been bolted to the axle in the middle... oh well.

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I commute over a twisty pothole filled miserable excuse for a mountain road and I found the ride and handling to be much better with the rear sway bay removed. Also does better off road. The boy and I took the Jeep to the little off road play area near the house and for the first time, I was able to climb one of the hills in 2wd. Always before, the left wheel would spin out when I transitioned through the little gully and I would need 4wd to continue. My Scout will motor up the same hill in 2wd and not slip a wheel. With the rear sway bar removed, the Jeep will now do the same.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad to hear that. I guess Jeep's idea is a sway bar will help avoid a high speed rollover but basically makes all other times worse... sheesh poor performance 99% of the time for a slim chance of rolling over.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good to know cause I broke a bolt last year on one side. Now I know I can remove it completely without worrying about it.

Katmandu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad to hear that. I guess Jeep's idea is a sway bar will help avoid a high speed rollover but basically makes all other times worse... sheesh poor performance 99% of the time for a slim chance of rolling over.
Is the 1% the only negative when removing the rear sway bar ?

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Have been removed for a couple of years or so. Think it helps ALL areas of handling.

Miff_UK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yay, finally got around to removing the rear sway bar. I find the ride on our roads which are horrible is much better. Less "slamming" over pot holes. An overall softer feeling in the rear which is very nice.

cheers for this, with the UK's love of speed bumps and pot holes I'd like to try this, anyone gor a photo or diagram of which bitmof metal this is and which bolts to remove ?

cheers

Miff

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
See the round sway bar? Steel block above lower control arms where sway bar bolts to...
Two bolts per side on the control arm to remove the sway bar.
Not best pic but shows where it mounts.
42512[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• JeepLCAbushings2.jpg
    JeepLCAbushings2.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 0

03 JEEP KJ BIG BLUE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it take maybe 5 min even without an impact. just put some rust buster on it and out they come. it took me 5 min and i have a MINNESOTA RUST bolt set up lol

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What will your Insurance companies say if you roll your KJ?
I know here in SA they would love to find an excuse like this to void a claim.

03 JEEP KJ BIG BLUE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the full coverage insurance i have through progressive here in MN covers all modifications and aftermarket parts. i have been rear ended in my heavily modified VW and not only did they pay but the repaired the car and replaced the modifications