Rear Differential Speed Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dewo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good day people. Hopefully there's someone here that can help me.
6 Months ago my speedometer stopped working, brake light + ABS light came on. (2004 Jeep Liberty KJ 2.8 CRD)
I replaced my rear differential speed sensor (MOPAR 56041393AA) and all was back to normal again.

Same happened to me bout a week ago, changed the sensor, but this time nothing changed. Speedometer not working, brake light & abs light on. So I went and changed the wiring to the sensor incld the plug, but still no change.

I've multi-meter tested the Yellow wire and it receives 11v.
Jacked up the rear, Tested the Yellow/Blue wire while spinning he rear wheel, it jumps to 1.5v (only cause I can't spin the wheel fast enough while holding the multi-meter)

Last resort will be to go see the stealers :icon_frown:
Any help or input how to solve this will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good day people. Hopefully there's someone here that can help me.
6 Months ago my speedometer stopped working, brake light + ABS light came on. (2004 Jeep Liberty KJ 2.8 CRD)
I replaced my rear differential speed sensor (MOPAR 56041393AA) and all was back to normal again.

Same happened to me bout a week ago, changed the sensor, but this time nothing changed. Speedometer not working, brake light & abs light on. So I went and changed the wiring to the sensor incld the plug, but still no change.

I've multi-meter tested the Yellow wire and it receives 11v.
Jacked up the rear, Tested the Yellow/Blue wire while spinning he rear wheel, it jumps to 1.5v (only cause I can't spin the wheel fast enough while holding the multi-meter)

Last resort will be to go see the stealers :icon_frown:
Any help or input how to solve this will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Download the 2003 KJ Service Manual here...close enough to the 2004 model.
Read up on how the speed sensing is done as well as the ABS system and refer to the wiring diagrams.

The BCM and the PCI communications BUS are all involved as are several fuses.

You can test that the speedometer gauge does move by holding in the Odometer trip button while switching the ignition ON....all the LEDs are lit up and the gauges move back and forth. This does not diagnose any problems...only checks that the gauges, lamps etc. do work.

I think the only way to test the diff speed sensor is with an osciloscope...the pulsed signal will not show any meaningful reading reading using a voltmeter.

You sure the sensor is connected the right way around?:shrug:

Manuals: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ.

dewo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tnx for the info Bill. Did the speed gauge test and all is working fine. I'll double check the wires, but sure all is okay.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you replaced it did you inspect the wire running from it to the wire entrance in the body? These wires crack or fray and even short out. Check the wires. If it's shorting out the speed sensor or not getting full contact. I had to retire mine from just inside the body all the way to the sensor.

So check out the wiring and see if there's an issue there.

dewo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it was a second hand one from a a place called American SUV without a warranty, If I only knew it was broken, would've rather bought a new one from them. Brand new one I ordered on ebay from coast2coast, it's a dorman brand and so far so good.

Last edited:

OZZYKJ

Reaction score
SO I have a very Simliar problem on my 05 CRD...... except My speedo works fine...... but not my Odo, or my ABS..... I too have inspected the wiring to Rear Axle AND front Wheel sensors...... so my instinct is to replace AXLE sensor...... but WHy is my speedo working fine?....... maybe in my case its a front Sensor?.... I have the part #'s for the rear Axle sensor, but not the front ones...... anyone know??

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO I have a very Simliar problem on my 05 CRD...... except My speedo works fine...... but not my Odo, or my ABS..... I too have inspected the wiring to Rear Axle AND front Wheel sensors...... so my instinct is to replace AXLE sensor...... but WHy is my speedo working fine?....... maybe in my case its a front Sensor?.... I have the part #'s for the rear Axle sensor, but not the front ones...... anyone know??

If you pull codes out it should point you to one of the front wheel sensors as faulty or may call out some other cause of your problem such as the diff sensor or ABS module (which needs re-programming if replaced).:shrug:

All 2005 KJs, Gassers or CRDs, had a recall issued by Chrysler that the rear diff may have been filled with the wrong oil in the factory. This oil chews up the sensor.

Owners were supposed to have the dealers drain the rear diff oil, clean the area, fill up with correct fluid, replace the sensor on top of the diff.

If you have not had the above done then possibly the diff sensor is suspect although I tend to go with a front wheel sensor or its wiring being faulty.

Parts numbers I have for the front sensors...seems to include the harness...are:

Sensor Antilock Brakes:

Right 52128694AC
Left 52128695AC

Last edited: