Wheel Speed sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glenn Buskirk

Reaction score
My daughter just bought a 2006 KJ that has a dead speedometer, odometer that doesn't change, and has ABS and ESP lights on. Could a bad wheel speed sensor cause all this? It also has CEL and a few DTC codes. U1120, P0499, P0501, and P0700. The engine runs fine. The seller said he just took the vehicle out of two years of storage and it was perfect when he parked it. I trust his integrity but not his objectivity or memory.

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 0499 code is going to be for the evap system - the 0501 should be for the speed signal into the pcm missing - 0700 codes are for transmission faults - and yes, depending on the vehicle the abs can supply the speed signal to the cluster and pcm. I would scan the transmission and see if you have a faulty output shaft speed sensor that might be causing your speedo to not work.

abliberty06

Reaction score
My daughter just bought a 2006 KJ that has a dead speedometer, odometer that doesn't change, and has ABS and ESP lights on. Could a bad wheel speed sensor cause all this? It also has CEL and a few DTC codes. U1120, P0499, P0501, and P0700. The engine runs fine. The seller said he just took the vehicle out of two years of storage and it was perfect when he parked it. I trust his integrity but not his objectivity or memory.
Check the ABS module just behind the battery, neither the speedometer nor tachometer worked when my ABS connector was not well seated. The brake light on the dash cluster was also on when the ABS module isnt powered up. I could hold down the trip button and turn the key on and it would go through the instrument diag showing the gauges still worked. The ABS connector is a pain, especially if it's been broken and the lever action no longer works. There are slots within the molding where 4 plastic numbs fit, the lever moves the slots soas to pull the two sides together, its tricky if you aren;t sure how it works and the plastic got brittle on mine.

U1120 is what I saw with no ABS module.
P0501 is vehicle speed sensing, which is from the ABS systems wheel sensors. (This is probably what kills the Speedometer)

I didn't figure out why the tach also went dead, seemed like the engine speed measurement would be independant, but without the ABS both were dead for me.

Andy

Glenn Buskirk

Reaction score
Check the ABS module just behind the battery, neither the speedometer nor tachometer worked when my ABS connector was not well seated. The brake light on the dash cluster was also on when the ABS module isnt powered up. I could hold down the trip button and turn the key on and it would go through the instrument diag showing the gauges still worked. The ABS connector is a pain, especially if it's been broken and the lever action no longer works. There are slots within the molding where 4 plastic numbs fit, the lever moves the slots soas to pull the two sides together, its tricky if you aren;t sure how it works and the plastic got brittle on mine.

U1120 is what I saw with no ABS module.
P0501 is vehicle speed sensing, which is from the ABS systems wheel sensors. (This is probably what kills the Speedometer)

I didn't figure out why the tach also went dead, seemed like the engine speed measurement would be independant, but without the ABS both were dead for me.

Andy
Thanks for the tips. I replaced her battery terminals yesterday (because her ground connection was poor), so I spent some time in that area. I also reseated all four connectors to the PCM, spraying each one with contact cleaner before re-connecting. I see a couple of broken wire stubs in the harness near the PCM. They may account for the problem. I also found a 4-wire connector unplugged, in the rear passenger-side of the engine compartment, behind the airbox and in front and outside from the coolant overflow tank. I would like to learn the identity of this connector.

Attachments

• IMG_20230908_195100871_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230908_195100871_HDR.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited: