Question for 2005 owners or anyone else that might know.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I changed my brakes over the weekend. I read over the DIY on LOST before doing it just to make sure there weren't any surprises waiting. The job was a breeze (one of the easier brake jobs I have ever done). Just after finishing the job, it hit me that my 2005 doesn't have the long metal clips on the top of my rear calipers like the ones pictured in the DIY here...

You must be registered for see images attach

My pads do, however, contain a clip on the pad (as seen on the bottom two pads below) that doesn't seem to be present on the pads in the DIY.

You must be registered for see images

My assumption is that is was a slight design change in 2005 and I have the new style of clip that helps retain the front of the caliper to the bracket.

So, I would like some verification. Do those of you that have a 2005 have these long metal clips on the top of your calipers? Am I missing a piece or am I correct in my assumption?

One reason why I ask is that when I use to back out in the mornings, my rear calipers (I think) would pop a couple of times. The pop noises happened when I hit my brakes for the first time. I don't know if this was due to loose calipers or the pads were sticking to the slides over night and they were just breaking loose. It isn't doing it with the new pads though, so I tend to think it was the latter.

I'm sure I am OK, but I am a perfectionist and tend to want everything on my vehicles to work the way they should, so I want to be sure. Plus, the brakes are a slightly important safety item so proper working order is a tad important as well.lol

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm glad that they aren't needed, but, my question still is, should the 2005s have them? Curiosity now.

I have owned it since it had just under 15K miles. To my knowledge, after pulling reports on it, the brake job that I did last weekend was the first time they have been touched.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've owned my '05 since new. No funny clips running front-back on the calipers here. When I did swap out my back brakes, the pads were pretty much like in your picture. One clips into the piston and one kinda clips into the outboard side of the caliper. You're cool.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've owned my '05 since new. No funny clips running front-back on the calipers here. When I did swap out my back brakes, the pads were pretty much like in your picture. One clips into the piston and one kinda clips into the outboard side of the caliper. You're cool.

Mine are the same way in my '06

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm glad that they aren't needed, but, my question still is, should the 2005s have them? Curiosity now.

I have owned it since it had just under 15K miles. To my knowledge, after pulling reports on it, the brake job that I did last weekend was the first time they have been touched.
Those clips are supposed to be removed before leaving the factory floor,some get past as there whole function is to hold the caliper and mount together for easier assembly and serve no other purpose.