Power Steering Leak questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frozentoze

Reaction score
I had a power steering leak near the gearbox. I replace the high pressure hose, since that is where it "always is", and I saw a lot posted about that issue, so I went and did it.

Now, it still leaks, and Ive been able to determine that its one of the smaller lines coming out of the gearbox that runs in steel tubing to the far passenger side of the R&P unit. It is the lower driver side port on the gearbox, whereas the high pressure hose was the upper passenger side port.

So, other than it being really difficult to get to that nut to get the hose fitting off the gearbox, I would just think I could swap out this bit of tubing and be done. Unfortunately I cant find it for sale. Is it sold as a part of the R&P assembly? Killer to buy a $250+ R&P just for the tubing run. Also, any suggestions on the best approach to getting access to turn the nuts on those hose fittings on the gearbox? Will I have to take off both ends of the high pressure hose and the return hose to get a wrench on the smaller nuts to the driver side of these two, or can I get at them from the wheel well or bottom?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must buy a whole R&P to get that one line or take the steel line off and have one made at any hydraulic shop.

To get that steel line off take the high pressure hose and return hose off.Make sure and replace the o-rings also or they will leak.

Frozentoze

Reaction score
Are these lines flare compression fittings? Im considering buying some pre-cut, pre-terminated lengths of brake line at NAPA and bending them into the shape of these steering lines. I think it will work if the fittings are of that same type. That will save me buying the whole rack.

Frozentoze

Reaction score
To answer part of my own question, the tubing lines connecting the pinion to the rack, while similar to brake lines, are not the same thread, sending me back the the drawing board for a solution on this one.

I have the two runs of tubing off and in-hand now, and Im still just choking at the idea of spending $250 to replace two <24" runs of hydraulic tubing.

Next week Im walking into a hydraulic hose shop with these runs in hand, and if I hit a dead end there, it might be time to just eat the $$$ and end this. Driving with no power steering is getting old.

Members online