Power Antenna

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rush345

Reaction score
Back many years ago while driving my Datsun 260Z 2+2, my power antenna got snapped off. So I went down to my local Radio Shack and purchased a AM/FM/CB Power Antenna. After installation I have never found any better reception out of any of my vehicles since. The 260Z is long gone and so is apperently a comprable power antenna. I want to remove the stock pathetic antennam and install a power antenna in the rear pillar exiting through the roof just in back of the roof rack. The closes I have been able to find is this:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...0101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=power+antenna

From JC Whitney, but not having the utmost confidence in JCW products. I'm asking if any have any other idea. I'll cover the old antenna hole with either a trail rated badge, or patch in some LED lights tied into running lights or turn signals. But I think the rear antenna will be original and fun when other KJ owners say "Where is your Antenna??" Any and all comments welcome.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Last edited:

Rush345

Reaction score
I finally found I was looking in the wrong direction while surfing Flea-Bay saw the Antenna. At the time I replaced the antenna I worked for a local Cadillac dealership and once every couple weeks the GM Warranty guy would stop by and take some of the old parts from warranty repairs and tell us to through the others parts away. Well, I salvaged 3 antennas each with a different problem took all 3 home and cobbled them together into one. The antenna I'm looking for is an AC/Delco AM/FM/CB power antenna for a 1977 Cadillac Eldorado. The one on Flea-Bay wanted a $159.00 with no idea if it eaven works or not and non refundable. But now that I know the source mre can look for it and yes I'm planning on some LED marker lights to cover the old antenna hole just like the European model KJ's. So if anybody find anything I would appreciate the point in the right direction. After all it only took me 2 weeks of searching to find this a joggle my memorie.:eek:idea.gif Thank if anybody can help me find this antennanana.gif

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the AdamisAdam/TokyoJoe mod on the stock AM/FM mount with a slight variation and it seems (so far) to work well. Truth be told, I haven't really tuned the AM/FM reception at all, so it actually decreased a bit from stock. I hope to find time soon to really tune it well.

Instead of tapping the mount larger, I turned down the stud end of a Firestik heavy duty stainless spring on my bench grinder by hand (point is, not very accurate) and then cut a 5/16-18 thread on it. That way the mount is mostly unmolested and remains in stock strength. I did have to shave away a little of the plastic cover.

Used a 3' Firefly adjustable antenna with the heavy duty spring (don't be fooled, medium spring is too weak - at 80 mph, my antenna was smacking the passenger mirror!).

Just another option.

Rush345

Reaction score
I did check with Hirsckmann and they lead me to a Distributer in Florida. Now that I remembered that the Antenna was a Cadillac and not a Radio Shack model I've contacted AC/Delco who inturn gave me 4 more company leads along with a custom electronics store in Denver who does Sirrus, total sound systems, CB systems and strobe lights and other Automotive toys. He is one of the few who said He could and would do the job and if we pull this mod off this wont be his only Modification. He will inturn offer this custom hidden AM/FM/CB Power Antenna into many SUV's a big plus for his business. He likes the total cool factor of this design.

Rush345

Reaction score
Turns out the Hirsckmann Dealer in Florida has the exact antenna listed in my first post and will sell it to me delivered for $80.00. A customer ordered to install in his Jaguar and changed his mind and returned it still in box brand new(naughty)(partysmile)

Rush345

Reaction score
Show pics of the install/setup!

I will but I haven't given up on the Caddy AM/FM/CB power antenna. Just so I cover everything I found a radio shop willing to do the entire install, with LED side marker lights in the hole left by the stock antanna. Plus I'll buy the CB radio from him, to bundle the setup.
My tax dollars at work:D

Members online

No members online now.