CB Installation Questions (Using factory antenna mount)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZeroCool84

Reaction score
Hello all,

Looking to put a CB in my KJ and have narrowed down my options to a President Bill mini CB radio and doing a stock antenna swap (by drilling out the current threading for the 3/8-24 threading needed on a firestik antenna.

I've seen the tutorials and while they were helpful, they didnt answer a few of my questions.

A few questions before I start making modifications:
  • The firestik a1 converter in the turorials doesnt seem to be readily avaialble. Does this option perform the same function: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HPH23LA/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3ELPGJLYNL7Q4&psc=1
  • Does the firestik firefly antenna still allow for use of the AM/FM function in the vehicle radio? If so, does it allow for it both with and without the converter linked above? Meaning if I just installed the CB antenna on my vehicle without the converter (which may happen in stages based on funding), will my am/fm radio still work?
  • 3ft antenna OK for CB comms mounted on the factory antenna spot? I'm hesitant to go much longer based on the tutorials I've read and not wanting to put too much stress on the factory mounting point.
Many thanks for any and all input on the above!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Bad area to place an antenna on any vehicle
Fender mounts have the drawback of being below the cab level, which will impact performance. The offset ground plane will also impact performance.
If you only want to talk a mile or so will be OK
Plus trying to make one antenna do the job of two, both will suffer
Even using a 3 foot it is still below top of the roof, mounted on one side and will never give you full performance of the CB
Plus setting your SWR will be harder as well
If you do not want to go where it should be ( on top of the KJ ) then at least rear center of the hood , not good but better than side of the KJ
But its yours so,........