Need help with cb antenna!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zengin

Reaction score
Im looking to mount a cb antenna on my 03 kj renegade using the existing antenna port... the only kicker is i want 8-10ft of antenna and have it "clipped on" to my roof rack (have it tied back most of the time) firesticks seem too stiff to do this although i like the look/performance of it... i cant go with a floppy ss whip as they will loose stiffness quick and end up dragging..
any ideas??

thanks in advance!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
8 to 10 foot ???????????
Are you serious ?? No where could you run that long of one even on the road

drawnon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember reading a post somewhere about using the existing am/fm antenna location. I don't think it was on this forum. I think it was just some random internet thing. The guy put a 4 or 5 foot firestick where the stock radio antenna was and bought a bunch of y adapters and converters to use the cb antenna as a radio antenna as well. I want to do this as well.

Geep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being that I'm new here most of what I have to bring to the table is most-likely out of the box but maybe one of those ratcheting marine antenna bases might work for what you want to do. When you want to lay the antenna down just adjust the angle. I messed with a 12'-14' fiberglass Shakespear on my Tahoe years ago and it really got out.

From my understanding an antenna has a specific "effective" length and guys will have them tested somehow and then they cut them to the proper length.

The Wilson 1000 I currently have works very well even sitting on the garage floor which is hooked up to a Cobra 148 GTL. I use it to listen to guys on lower side band that are using atmospheric bounce to communicate. Kind of funny to hear guys located in Jamaica all the way in Michigan.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ground plane and 200 watt kicker does good as a stationary type setup, have talked a LONG way using that setup
But just for street running I would never have a long one even tied down beating around on top

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
By the way Zengin
this coming weekend M&G Swanton area if you'd like to meet some other KJ owners and see some AWESOME KJ s:shrug:

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say put a permanent mount antenna somewhere on the roof, rather than having a long one lower on the vehicle. It would also be cheaper, and more effective on the roof. There are also some alternatives to cb :D

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it would be cool to get a VHF license and allow other members to use it. Like a frequency just for jeepkj members, Im going to start looking into it. Any interest in this?

Geep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the range of VHF/UHF? Lower side band CB pokes out fairly far from what I can tell but I haven't used my CB in years other than listening to others while in the garage. The popularity of cell phones really put a damper on my CB usage.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a vhf mobile, my county uses mostly vhf for public saftey. I have no problems hitting our dispatch from 5 miles + with many trees. I can pick up the surrounding counties dispatch and operations channels clearly. I would say you can get over 15 miles and still have clear communication, as long as you have a decent radio and antenna. The rescue squad does transports over an hour away and can still hit the dispatch center. VHF is the same band as marine radios. You can get great reception on a 2ft whip antenna, and they are easy to tune. Just think, cbs are I believe under 5watts, where in vhf, the mobile units range from 25-100 watts.

Last edited: