Possible Recall 2002-2007?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris03kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After leaving my car at the dealer for 8 hours, they can't put the hitch on cuz of rust on the frame

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I like go after Chrysler and tell then to make it work?
If it's rusted bad enough nothing will ever work but buying a new vehicle.Your local government(city,county,state) is who you should go after due to using salt which corrodes steel.

Next time try washing the vehicle's undercarriage during the winter when they lay salt down,at least every 2 weeks.

chris03kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's rusted bad enough nothing will ever work but buying a new vehicle.Your local government(city,county,state) is who you should go after due to using salt which corrodes steel.

Next time try washing the vehicle's undercarriage during the winter when they lay salt down,at least every 2 weeks.

It ***** because I just got the vehicle recently... He said mine isn't even rusted but Chrysler says the paint has to be near perfect for it to even be able for the hitch...

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed my hitch about a year ago. Sprayed the hell outta the holes with PB Blaster, used a wire brush that was just barely small enough to fit in. Spun the brush a ton, cleaned it off, sprayed the holes again…and on and on.

Then took one of the old bolts, sprayed it but good with PB and ran it in and out with the impact. Cleaned it off, did it again. And again. I didn't have a tap the right size (but I do now) or I would have used a tap to clean it up.

Once I did that, I could torque the new bolts up tight. So clean up the holes before you take it in and you'll be fine.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... He said mine isn't even rusted but Chrysler says the paint has to be near perfect for it to even be able for the hitch...

Well that's a load of bs. Makes me wonder just how many "sorry your frame has too much surface rust to install a hitch" excuses they're going to hand out. Looks like they may have created a loophole to get out of installing some hitches.

chris03kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna call Chrysler and ***** a storm to them and if they don't do it I'll be with the NHSTA

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I AM GOING TO CLEAR THIS UP NOW, understand something there are a lot of KJ's with hitches installed as long as those hitches pass inspection they won't be replacing them. Second, yes there will be KJ's with excessive rust underneath making it impossible to install a hitch. It happens, its already been pointed out what could have been done to prevent excessive corrosion on the under carriage. Thankfully my KJ had undercoating which has protected it I just need to re-apply some undercoating in some areas since its worn off from this very unforgiving winter. AND NO THE PAINT DOES NOT HAVE to be near perfect for the hitch to be installed, simply put if its determined that there is excessive rust a hitch will not be installed. This is a safety recall that is MANDATORY not Voluntarily done so Chrysler is going to stay in the bounds of keeping in the good graces of the idiots known as the NHTSA. Also should a KJ be determined that there is excessive rust, if I read a few things right there may be a solution coming for them I QUOTE maybe a solution coming. But should a KJ be determined UNABLLE to hold a Hitch, there is a mountain of paperwork with a few other things to present to the NHTSA explaining why. Don't think that this is a look at it nod the head and say no thing.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What did that clear up? Must of missed something in the last ten pages :shrug:
Still going to be up to the guy looking under yours isn't it?
Plus undercoating does not stop rust, I've seen floorboards rusted out but a coating of undercoating underneath making it appear to be OK

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dammit got 13 recall letters in my mailbox tonight,still getting recall letters for the damn LBJ's.

Someone's going to be in tears tomorrow after I leave the dealership and it won't be me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS might be posting from jail tomorrow.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Dammit got 13 recall letters in my mailbox tonight,still getting recall letters for the damn LBJ's.

Someone's going to be in tears tomorrow after I leave the dealership and it won't be me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sending smokes and a file out tomorrow if we don't hear from ya!!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Random question - I have a 3,000lb hitch (4 bolts, 2 on each side). Would they replace that? Should I bother going in and asking? (I simply got this when I didn't have much money and couldn't afford anything better and needed ANYTHING to be a rear recovery point. Thank gosh I never needed to use it.)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

Crap.......all 13 of your ball joints are bad!..........LOL

Not the dealers fault anyway. Recall letters/notices come from the manufacturer.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not the dealers fault anyway. Recall letters/notices come from the manufacturer.
4 of them are returned addressed the local Jeep dealer here in the springs.I have been there 3 times before to have my Jeep removed from any recall and have a nice letter from Chrysler stating my KJ has been deemed "Excessively Modified" (worse then a salvaged title) and no longer able to have any warranty or recall work done unless I pay.

Geepster

Reaction score
Mine was installed on the 7th. Went flawlessly. Nice hitch. No ball, receiver plug or wiring which I expected. Ordered the Hopkins kit which is a perfect fit kit with real instructions. About 15-20 min depending on how **** you are. Be forewarned that if the frame rails are rusted out on the vehicle, that rebuild cost is yours. Fortunately mine are clean.

Geepster

Reaction score
Sorry for being a newbie on the block but if I understand correctly, you don't want to be notified of any issues?